Fender Classic Series 60's Jazz Bass or Fender Classic Series '51 Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MysteryBox, May 1, 2005.

1. MysteryBox

Feb 28, 2005
    I have recently come in possesion to a nice amount of Money and since there is no possibility of a Rickenbacker 4003 coming to town anytime soon i come apon my next 2 choices

Both are Brand New cept the Jazz Bass just came in

Both are flawless in Finish and in Sound and Parts
    The '51 is in Blonde and the Jazz is in 3-Tone Sunburst

Both are about the exact same Price

Both Play and Sound great perfect for my Style which is very Blues/Classic Rock Based cept the Jazz Bass's Action is tad too High but thats easily fixed.

So i'm asked y'all from Personal Preferences and Expieriences and just from Technical know how: Which one is Better?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'd go for that Jazz over the Precision. The precision has that little single coil pickup, which is kinda a one trick pony. I personally feel like the Jazz is a bit more comfortable both to wear and to play.
  3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    Jazz, you'll have more options for tone down the road.
  4. I have the classic 60's Jazz (Sunburst). Beautiful guitar and sound. Makes me feel like John Paul Jones when playing Zep. Some single coil noise when not playing which is my only minor complaint. Thinking about upgrading the P/U's. I recommend the Jazz.
  5. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
  6. cacio

Apr 24, 2005
    I had a p'51.
    Wonderful bass,if you don't fear a "baseball bat" neck.
    I sell it cause my little hands,but is a great bass at a confortable price
  7. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've got one. The stock pickups just didn't do it for me. Replaced them with Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's. Wow - what a difference. All the growl/thud you could want.

Hate the poly especially on the back of the neck, but a little steel wool makes things better.

Lots of bass for the money. Just be careful in selecting one. Fender's quality is hit or miss no matter what model or where it's made.
  8. I'd say go with the Jazz Bass, you'll be much happier. First off the 3-Tone Sunburst with the tortoise shell pickguard is just frickin awesome, a glossy neck, reverse tuners, and a good overall sound. You also have more options with it with two pickups, plus it would look frickin' sweeter if you put some chrome pickup and bridge covers and a thumb rest (which is what I'm gonna do!) And if the the buzz bothers you then EMG does make a vintage model that doesn't look like the conventional EMG's, rather it looks like they're vintage. And absolutely no hum! (Another upgrade I'm doing). Go with the Jazz.
  9. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Don't worry; it'll fall off eventually, a piece at a time. It's why I stopped buying FMIC-made Fenders.
  10. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    In terms of build quality? The '51RI, by miles. It's made in Japan. FJs are made differently and they're made better than either MIM or MIA Fenders.

The Mexican Classic Jazz will be a more versatile instrument, however.