Fender Classic Series 60's Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MysteryBox, May 7, 2005.

1. MysteryBox

Feb 28, 2005
    Well after deciding what Bass i should get (Fender Classic Series 60's Jazz Bass) and since i'm strapped for Cash i got my Dad to help pay for a bit of it but first he had to check it out at the Store.

So later after he checked it out and told me it was a Mexican (which i knew before) and it was the same as much cheaper ones at the Place except for certain things which were added.

Now can somebody tell me whats the difference between a regular Mexican Jazz Bass and the 60's Jazz Bass?

And also whats the difference between the 60's Jazz Bass and an American Jazz Bass (Which is what my Dad suggested i get)?

P.S. Please don't say the difference is money cause i kinda figured that one out by myself
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Don't worry about where the bass is made, it was made to fit a specific time period. There is no other bass exactly like it. It is made in Mexico but it comes with alnico vintage pups, the MIM bass does not. It comes with truss rod access at the heal of the neck(like 60's basses) the MIM basses access is at the headstock. It comes with vintage frets (slightly smaller) the MIM bass has med jumbo IIRC. The classic bass comes with vintage reverse turning tuners (period correct) the MIM's tuners are sorta cheesey but efficient, The neck profiles also seem different to my hands and the classic bass has the gloss finish while the MIM bass has no real finish. The classic bass also comes with a DLX gig bag, the MIM bass comes in a box only. The classic bass also comes with a vintage bridge (allows side to side string spacing adjustment) and the MIM bass has the basic standard bridge.
    Now the MIA bass offers
    1)Graphite reinforced neck
    2)Alder or ash body
    3)Maple or rosewood necks
    4)String through the body bridge
    5)Cast open back tuners
    6)Rolled fingerboard edges
    7) Hardshell case w/key's and "T" handle wrench for neck
    8)Availablility in translucent finishes

None of these features are offered on the MIM basses. MIM did make an fsr bass for GC in ash
    Only 2 and 3 can be obtained on a MIJ bass.
  3. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Fender Japan offers translucent finishes as well.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I seem to remember something like that but when I pull up the Fender Japan site there are no basses in translucent finishes nor does it mention that translucent finishes are an option. I don't see the sunset orange, the crimson red or the green translucent finishes offered on the MIA basses at the Japan website. I'm not saying they don't exsist, they are just not listed.
  5. MysteryBox

Feb 28, 2005
    Well Thank you very much for telling me those details.

But here is the real question:Is an American Jazz Bass more Worth it than a 60's Jazz Bass ?
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Only you can answer that, you will have to play both and decide which YOU like better.
  7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    If that was the real question you could have asked it in the first place and Pyrohr would not have wasted his time giving an excellent answer to the question you did ask.
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey FireAarro I have seen 1 or 2 MIJ basses that had finishes that appeared like that and they turned out to be photo finishes! The first jazz I saw I would have bought it on finish alone until I had it in my hands :meh: . I was shocked at the length MIJ went to to make that bass look nice. It looked real nice from far away but in your hands it looks cheesy and cheap, sorta like a bass with wallpaper :scowl: The last bass does look nice though! :)
  9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've got one of these and it's a lot of bass for the $. Like anything Fender makes (regardless where it was made or even if it's a Custom Shop) try it to see if you like it and if it seems to be alive acoustically in your hands.

I'm into a more vintage sound and I didn't like the standard pickups. Replaced them with Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's. It's got the total 60's growl/thud now.

Installed Fender replacement pickup/bridge covers, slapped on a set of Thomastik Jazz flats and with a little tweaking and steel wool on the back of the neck to get some of that nasty poly off - it actually feels like an old one and certainly gets in the ballpark to a real 60's model.
  10. I was just in a music store today which had a standard and classic 60's side by side. The appearance of the classic was awesome compared to the Std. Both were sunburst, the wood grain and finish of the classic was beautiful and made the Std. look like a cheap bass.