Fender Classic Series Fuzz Wah Soundclips

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Just messing around with this pedal. So far I really like it. It's very vintage and classic. Not recommend for modern players with modern rigs. Very acid rock sounding.

I did a clip of the fuzz, fuzz volume maxed, fuzz amount cranked (footpedal slid all the way to the right). Bass is a Fender American Deluxe Jazz with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder P Bass pickup. P pickup is the only one used. Tone all the way up. I have some dirt dialed in on my amp, so for those of you who run your amps clean I'd recommend looking into a nice overdrive pedal to run this kind of thing into like the Z. Vex Box of Rock for when you want the singing sustain out of this thing. Anyways it sounds something like this:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1019309&songID=8781512

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    noice :D

3. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks!

Like I said I'm really digging this pedal. I'm ready to sell off my RMC1. (though I should tell you all most of you would hardly find the wah on the Fender Fuzz Wah a worthy replacement for an RMC1 in terms of low end retention)

4. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  5. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  7. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    Sounds cool.

8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    very nice

9. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks guys! I'm really digging my setup. A couple more purchases and it'll be "complete"!

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Last chance before I let this thread die, does anyone have more than one or two words to say? Or is everyone left speechless by my tone?

11. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Mark, your tone is pretty consistently authentic awesome vintage rawk.

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thank you! I know I'm doing something right because my mother hates my tone.

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    when both are engaged, is the wah pretty responsive? this seems like a fun tool for some Al Cisneros stuff :D

14. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    The wah can be placed before or after the fuzz, and I think it works well in either position. It is quite responsive before the fuzz until you add a lot of saturation from the amp, at least with my equipment. After the fuzz it's very intense, even with saturation from the amp. I seem to get the best sound out of the wah with a Precision bass pickup, but I've only tried four different pickups with this pedal.

The wah is better than most guitar wahs for bottom end, but at the end of the day it's still a guitar wah and isn't going to retain massive thump, which, in my limited listening to that Al guy would be fine for some of his sounds. I don't lose any low end with the fuzz however, though I do run the fuzz volume full on.

This pedal is very fun and the real time interactiveness it has with the wah and the side to side fuzz action is cool but also very usable. I also probably don't need to mention the cool factor of an integrated fuzz wah is way beyond that of a separate fuzz and wah to me.

15. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Sounds good! I'm sure it's a freaking fun pedal. A combined wah/fuzz = sex

16. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I have demos up here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1043598

for a rock opera my band may record as an EP. Every track except the calm before the storm uses the Fender Fuzz Wah. Some of the tracks need some major work, I'll be updating them as I figure out what I want to do with them.

17. Atomicant

Atomicant

Feb 3, 2006
    Australia
    Is it hard to keep the pedal from moving left and right when using the wah? Or is it pretty stiff?

18. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    It's not stiff, but it's not hard to keep it from moving around unwantedly either. I think Fender has integrated the two treadle controls very well, I find it very easy to use and get what you want out of. I generally use the fuzz control in three positions: with the treadle all the way left for some overdrive, in the middle for a bit of fuzz, and all the way right for full on fuzz, and I haven't had any trouble keeping the fuzz control where I want it.

19. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Mark,

This pedal caught my eye some time back, however I have looked at as many sites as i can on this pedal and can't find the answer to one important question...

is it optical?

or does it use an old fashioned potentiometer?

i refuse to carry extra ones around with me so this would be a make or break deal for me....

20. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I really don't know, but I don't see why it should make any difference. Carrying around a spare pot for your wah pedal is really extreme, I'd be happy to gig this pedal for the next twenty years without a backup.

For what it's worth, I've owned at least a dozen different wahs, and I've had far more problems with optical wahs crapping out on me than potentiomenter based wahs. A potentiometer is far from being the only part of any wah that can fail on you; it goes without saying that anything with moving parts is going to fail inevitably, optical wahs are no different in that respect than potentiometer based wahs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021