1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Classic Series Jazz Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Can anybody who has experience with these compare and contrast the 60's vs the 70's? I see a lot of stuff on the board about the 70's but not too much about the 60's. What are the differences?

Thanks in advance.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The main differences are:
    - pickup positioning (70s bridge pickup is about 1/4" closer to bridge than 60s)
    - fret markers (blocks and binding on the 70s vs. dots on the 60s)
    - neck profile (70s front to back is thicker than the 60s)
    - headstock logo

As far as tone differences, it's pretty much exactly what you would think. The 70s is more aggressive with more high end snap, where the 60s is warmer and fuller sounding. I've only played one of the MIM 60's, but 3-4 of the MIM 70's, and they were all very nice basses for the money.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I'll add that 70s spacing gives the bass more low mids and less high mid clank to my ears. I think it has to do with the phase cancellation differences between the two different pickup spacings.

4. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Can I infer then that a P-bass player who likes p-necks would prefer the 70's neck then?

5. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Almost certainly. The 70s Jazz neck has a distinct V-shape to it, it's narrow at the nut like any Jazz bass, but the neck really fills up your hand. It IS a different feel than a P-bass neck, but it's closer to the P than any other Jazz that I've played.

6. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Nice, thanks.

Is this the only Jazz with that type neck?

7. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Any vintage-correct Jazz should have the same neck dimensions as, from what I've read, that is how they were made in the 70s. So, that means, any actual, unmodified 70's Jazz and the American '75RI should have the same, or similar, neck dimensions.

But, on that topic, there are many here at TB with FAR more experience than I have regarding vintage Fenders.

8. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    +1 everything Double Agent said. Mine is easily my main squeeze.

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Get the 70's model and be prepared to kick butt. Epic jazz.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020