Fender Classic Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jun 19, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Anyone here know anything about them? They're the 60's classic series, the ones in the $600 range. Are they MIM or MIJ? How do they compare with the standard series? any info on them would be great, thanks alot.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    They are MIM. They have "vintage" features like vintage (smaller) fretwire, reverse tuners, and a tinted (for an aged look) gloss finish on the necks. They also have decent pickups (not cheap ceramic). IMO, the Classic Series is (at least) a step UP from the Standard Series....
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    At the same price as the Geddy Lee jazz the 60's classic bass is an excellent alternative. :cool:
  4. Stondis

Feb 12, 2005
    I'm seriously tempted by one of those sunburst jazzes, I've wanted a decent one since I was a kid! Very nice.
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I also think they look really cool and have been hearing good things about them. But of course, they don't come lefty. Thank you very much, guys and gals at Fender. :p
  6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The Classic series are very much on par with the MIA basses. They are the best instruments to come out of Mexico. I got a Classic Jazz about two months ago and I absolutely love this bass. Solid, great feel, classic sound and not built cheaply. You can take off the pickguards on these to give that Jaco look since there is no visible routing.

I have played many new Fender Jazz basses in the past few months, MIA and MIK, and I have yet to find one that felt as good as my Classic Jazz. Plus I think it is the best dollar for dollar value Jazz bass that Fender makes. I got a great deal on mine from Music123.com, I got them to drop the price around $75 from the price listed on their web site.

(I love showing this thing off!)

7. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Wow this is an old post. I have since bought a Geddy Lee Jazz bass, Had my SX P-bass tricked out by Hambone into what is known as "The Trooper" and ordered a Musicman Sterling. Time sure flies when your a gear whore.

P.S. Sweet lookin bass Classic Jazz
  8. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I started a thread about these basses the other day. I found one of these MIM Jazz basses for sale the other day and it is the same one pictured in this thread. What is a fair price for one? No issues or damage whatsoever.
  9. I agree that the Classic Series basses are very sweet. I've kinda been looking for something in a short scale lately for all the travelling that I do. Has anyone been able to try the Classic Series Mustang bass?? I've been able to try the Squire Bronco bass and I was impressed but I just can't see me buying a Squire.
  10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    As a point of reference, I paid $650 for mine new....
  11. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I bought mine on a "sweetheart" kind of deal. Paid $508.00 w/o the gig bag. Added Duncan Antiquity II's and vintage pickup covers and TI flatwounds. It's a killer bass for the $. Caution - try several of them. Fender quality is all over the place regardless if the instrument comes from Mexico, Japan or the Custon Shop.
  12. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I haven't played the '60s' jazz from the classic series (although I've heard a lot of good things about it) but I've played a few others, and I think they rock.
  13. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'm not seeing these on the Fender website. Is there a link to a spec page somewhere?
  14. bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    has anyone tried the fender 50's p-bass shown on the fender site. it looks great, especially for what i need, but is it any good
  15. I have a 60's Jazz Bass in Sunburst like the one above that I traded a Gibson Grabber to get. I love it! If it were stolen, I'd gladly pay full retail to buy a new one. It feels and sounds great, plus mine is not all that heavy to boot. I think it's one of the better buys on the market right now.

I've played a 50's P bass, and it seemed to be of similar build quality. It had a warm, old-school kind of P bass tone, even with the stock roundwounds. The neck profile is slim from front to back, but this bass has the C (1.75") width nut that I personally do not like. Wish I could get a 50's P with a 60's Jazz neck!