Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Cobalt Samarium PUPS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nick Ioannucci, Mar 16, 2006.

1. are these pups active? they come in the american j bass deluxe, and that has an active EQ, but are the pups themselves active? please and thank you
    -nick

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I doubt it. Bill Lawrence is pretty much into passive design.

3. sweet cause id like to drop a set into my MIM jazz along with a BAII bridge, and im also fully shielding everything and do a series/paralell mod. i winder if i can get an S-1 knob... itll be almost like an american bass... lol (no graphite reinforced neck... etc etc lol)

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Fender has changed pickup sizes a couple of times in recent years. that can make it difficult. Check out info on the Bartolini site (or was it in their PDF catalog just to get an idea). And MIM sizes are different yet - at least the ones I've seen. They've required a little routing.

I'd like to do SCNs on a five, myself. But so far it hasn't looked practical because the bass I'd like to try it with, like many, has the older J-long (Fender's bridge size has always been different than their neck size) form factor for both positions. And it gets worse for Fives because there's also often string-spacing to consider.

5. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    MiA or MiJ pups won't directly drop into a MiM. The MiM pickups are both the same size, while on a MiA/MiJ, the bridge pickup is slightly longer than the neck to accomodate the wider string spacing. Depending on the pickup, you might have to make some adjustments to the size of the bridge cavity.

6. That's true for older MIM models, but since 2001 or so the pickup sizes have been to MIA specs. If your MIM is older, you may have routing issues. Otherwise, the pickups should be totally passive and should be a direct drop-in to your bass.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Fender sucks for all their form-factor changing. It only takes one J case size and dog-ear spacing to do the job at either bridge or neck, and even for Five-string and narrower Six-string basses at that.

8. its a 2002 MIM so i should be good. if not, luckily theres a place down the street that could do it for me.(or i could give my dad a try.... wats the worst that could happen? hed have to buy me a new bass xD) so yeah thanks bunches for your help.