1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender combo situation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom dicus, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    As most of you know by reading my varied posts, I'm not a genius so bear with me.
    I have a fender rumble 200 in my bass/gun room that I forgot I had.
    I am under the impression I can hook up another cabinet to it.
    I get this from reading, not from experience.
    Is this a fact and if so, how in the world do I accomplish this?
    Thanks!!!!

2. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    There's a quarter inch jack in the back that says "speaker" or "external speaker." Plug a quarter inch speaker cable into that, and then into the other (8 ohm minimum, I believe) cabinet. Rock.

3. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    If we're talking about the current Rumble 200 V3 Combos, that is definitely correct...

jamro217 likes this.
  4. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    Thank you so much!!!
    I figured that, but I usually come up with ideas that start small disasters!
    With my luck, I'd start a fire.
    Cheers!
    And merry Christmas all!

jamro217, ldryder and SirMjac28 like this.
  5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    As long as it's an 8 ohm cab, and everything's plugged in before you power the amp up, you'll be good to go..

jamro217 likes this.
  6. Use plastic shell connectors or don't touch metal ones while it's operating.
    I believe the sleeve is not at ground potential.

7. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    IIRC, a momentary short across the jack terminals while plugging in could damage the amp...

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Use a speaker cable and not an instrument cable.

9. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Good point - I forgot to mention that...

jamro217 and Linnin like this.
  10. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    Please clarify
    I'm not experienced with this terminology and now I'm worried I'll ruin my amp. I would think there wouldn't be any problems with a new, modern amp.
    Not trying to be a pain, that sort of comes naturally to me, but still, I don't want to mess anything up!

11. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Just make sure you have the extension speaker plugged in before you turn it on - and turn it off before unplugging that speaker, and you'll be just fine...

IIRC, Class D amps like the one in your combo can be damaged by plugging in or unplugging a speaker while they're running...

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Use the Fender rumble cab specifically for your combo, if you use other brand cabs the speakers might not be in sync..

Linnin likes this.
  13. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I don't believe it's a necessity to use a Fender cab in this case - the only thing that really matters is that the cab shares the same polarity and is 8 ohms... For example, I've paired my Combo 200 with both a Mesa PH115 or a Subway 115 at different times, and both pairings worked quite well...

Aqualung60 likes this.
  14. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    Thank you so much
    I'l have to make a note for myself!

15. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Glad to help - although I have plenty of larger and more expensive bass amps and cabs, I really like my Rumble 200 Combo, too... In fact, I'm gigging it tonight, and leaving the Mesa Boogie stuff home...

Linnin likes this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    While this is common electric musician's sense, not all are in possession, so good point. Always be in power off state when connecting and disconnecting speaker cabinets.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  17. I think he was trying to say that due to the design of the 1/4" Jack and plug, there is a small chance that hitting the tip of the plug to the sleeve of the Jack might cause a short, while plugging or unplugging.
    Also, it's better to not add or subtract loads (speakers) to to/from the amp while it is powered on.
    Just a good habit to get into to not plug/unplug things while the amp is powered on.

FenderB and mesaplayer83 like this.
  18. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    I' thinking about a peavey headliner 210 as an add on.
    What do you folks think?

19. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Try it and see if you like it - if it sounds good, it is good...

20. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    no advice to give you, but if you are going to say you have a bass/gun room, you'll need to supply pics!