1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Coronado Bass on the Bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emils, Nov 28, 2006.

1. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
  2. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I'd love to get my hands on one of them... too bad they're so pricey (for a student)

3. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    There were a couple of them at the 14st GC in NYC the last few months.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe that's because they suck.

:bag:
    dislaimor: I'm not saying they suck, just speculating as to the reason they were such a massive bomb in the marketplace.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    They did suck. I loved the looks and the idea of the bass and was very excited to try one when it first came on the market. I spent an hour trying to get a sound I liked out of it in a music store. It sounded better unplugged than plugged in. I came to the conclusion that the best it could do was to put out a midrange heavy, peaky sound not suitable for playing music. Nice looking bass though. Maybe with decent pickups it would sound better. It was a massive bomb in the marketplace all right.

If it was introduced now it would probably sell.

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    A friend has one that he bought around 25 years ago, and he loves it.

Nobody else does, though...and his main instrument is trumpet.:eyebrow:

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I would like to give one of those a try sometime but they are pretty hard to come by in the shops.

8. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    They really arent great basses. Very cheap feeling. hollow, nasally tone. In a word - feh

9. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have one. Sounds good, assuming you like hollowbody basses.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In the context of the comments directly above this......... :D :D :D :D

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can think of two in a shop around here. They were 30" scale though, right?

12. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Here are the 2 I owned. It's been a while. I think the bass was a 34" scale. I thought the tone was great for a hollowbody. Loud without the feedback. Designed by an ex Rickenbacker employee can't think of the guys name Rothshinni or something like that. Check out the Knobs, right off a Ricky. As far as the pickups, they were made By DeArmond, they were also being used in Gretsch and Guild Models in the mid 60s. Not a crappy pickup at the time. The guitar had nice weight and played great but it was no 335 in tone if ya know what I mean. I really liked the way the bass sounded and it was a featherweight but it was a terrible Neck Diver, the worst I ever owned. These were both 1967 model Corronado IIs. Couldn't tell ya how the single pickup models sounded.

13. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    yes
    it turns out it sounded like a hollow body
    it was made to compete with the hollow gibsons and guilds
    but it sounded just as muddy
    i used one on stage once for one show a long time ago
    as much of a neck bomber as the thunderbird
    but not as comfortable because of the hollow body
    and as i recall a 34" scale
    at the time i assumed they did not use p or j bass pickups because they were trying to sound more gibson like
    and i think they achieved that goal

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Where were they made ?

15. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    If I"m not mistaken they were made at the Fullerton plant.

16. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    They were definitely 30" scale. All of 'em. But a couple of books and articles have mistakenly said they were long scale.

They were designed by Roger Rossmeisl, who designed most of the classic Ricks.

I once had a sunburst '67 Coro II. It only had a certain tone with limited uses but I liked it for what it was. I sold it because of the way it hung. It was lightweight but between the strap button on top of the heel and the severe neck dive it would rotate outward and down the second you took your hand off the neck.

17. Scarla O

Scarla O

Oct 4, 2005
    London, UK
    I've got a Coronado II and it doesn't have any of the muddiness of the Gibson EB2.

[​IMG]

18. I used to have a Coronado I with the single pickup. My biggest complaint was VERY neck heavy, and with a 30" neck it shouldn't have been!! Great thick tone.