1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Coronado reissue anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avezzano, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Yes: I would love it!

39 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. No, thanks: old crap and I hate semiacoustics!

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  3. Yes, but a real Fender made in Usa!

18 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. Yes, but... (your take)!

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. How many of you would just love to see a Coronado reissue? Personally I would just love to! If you ask me, I would really appreciate the most a "Squier Vintage Vibe" version, that would be a way for Fender to update the design a bit, without losing the flavour: 34" instead than the original 32"; standard spacing (19 mm), then two new design pickups in the old shape housing, three or four colors available; cost around 300 euro (400 usd, more or less).

I would buy one in a heartbeat. How many would as well?

[​IMG]

2. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I have only tried one Fender Coronado (not sure of the vintage).
    The sound was unclear and soft and a bit odd.
    However i could live with that, but what i did find
    to be a problem is that there was way to little sustain.

If i can find one used at a very low price, i might buy
    it and just hang it on the wall.

3. my idea for a reissue is to keep the old shape but revamp it, having in the end a really useful, good bass in hand:

solid center block, good pickups, 34" scale, standard spacing with the retro look.

4. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    That really wouldn't be a reissue then. It would pretty much be a new bass. The idea of a reissue is to keep as much of the original intact.

Granted, Squire's VM Precision bass TB is mislabeled and should be called a Telecaster bass, but all the elements of what they modeled it after are there.

5. yes... and also not necessarily: you can have a "Vintage Modified" where the original Vintage, faithful reproduction is slightly or heavily modified (look at the fretless J, with the ebonol board!) and the "Vintage Vibe", where you have the look of the old thing but within a more actualized and working concept. Why not?

If there is a market... I would buy one.

(BTW, look at the poll results: we are at around 80% of "yes" now!)

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Good idea Virgilio.... I think a highly modified MIA or MIM re-issue would be nice. I remember when they came out and the original execution was pretty much a disaster. Fender just needs to keep the original vibe but change the construction and electronics. I think it might sell as they have nothing else like it in their line and there has been a renewed interest in semi-acoustics in the last few years.

George

7. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Yes. That would be hot.

I try very hard to keep GAS at bay, but there are two things I would still like in my stable:

A hollowbody (to string up with flats) and a fretless...

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    PS-- they need to offer it, like all their other basses, in ANTIGUA FINISH!

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I don't think they sold well the first time (from what I read), which is why they nixed them.

10. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    definitely a reissue or revamp or whatever, but with a different headstock. the classic fender one just looks out of place on a hollowbody

11. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    To each his own. I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla, and spumoni, in this case.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ew... god no. Have you ever played an original? Awful, awful, awful.

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I think that other companies have this territory covered - so why bother? Who on this list remembers the old Fender Starcaster? Anyone? Anyone? I recall when those first came out... My guitar player looked at one in a store and said "If I wanted a Gibson 335, I'd buy a Gibson 335"... Same idea. Fender, in my view, should stick to what they are good at... And maybe invest some real R&D into SWR (since they've bought them) to bring back some respect to a once very innovative company...

14. I didn't vote. I say no, but I don't hate hollowbodys.

I love Fenders, and I love hollowbodies, but the two shouldn't mix. The Coronado explains why.

Fender don't need to make a big hollowbody anyway. They own Gretsch remember. They also own Guild for that matter. I would much rather see Guild reissue the Starfire :D

15. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I owned a couple Coronados the guitar had a tone all its own. Not bad tone but not great either. The bass, however had a great voice but was the worst "neck diver" ever. If my Copronado would have been fretless it would have been a great fretless. All the talk of feedback I could never figure out, the only time mine fedback was when I leaned over my amp with the bass hanging in frot of me. Other than that I never had it feedback. The bass had a nice tubby tone, was extremely light and played great! Just don't let go of that neck.

Would I go for a reissue? Guess I'd have to play one first.

16. Why not? Fenderholics would snatch em up...whatever they put their name on sells pretty good, especially "reissue".

17. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i've never played one.....but i think they look totally rad.

18. so as I suspected since long time, there definitely IS a market for a Coronado reissue (Fender are you listening?)!!!

so, according to this principle, after the invention of the "Fender bass" 50 years ago why people bothered to invent other solid body basses, then? Truth is that the Coronado was one of the few pioneers along with the Gibson EB2, Gretsch, Guild but those are still available on the market: why not also the Coronado? And... yes: personally I think classic Fender headstock is the main keeper for the instrument!!! Once you take it off you lose big part of the "drool" factor!

A nice touch and a smart commercial move would be offering it in the 4 strings 34" scale and 5 - 35" option: not even a smart guy like Dan Lakin offers his gorgeous hollowbody in 5 - 35", yet!!!!

19. That's just opinion though. If Fender did reissue the Coronado, there would be much further debate over the headstock. You love it or hate it. Here's an idea - maybe they make both types & you can choose the same way you'd pick the finish when you buy it.

Another thing that gets to me is the f-holes. To me they are too long and narrow compared to the rest of the instrument. If they remade the Coronado with standard sized f-holes and a traditional headstock, I would give it a look. But then again, if they did that, it wouldn't really be the Coronado.

20. you said it! ;) I would just love to buy a Coronado II, just.... a playable and really useful one!!!!