1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender CS 59 P-bass on order

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocky, May 2, 2010.

1. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    So on March 9th I put an order in to the Fender Custom Shop for a 59 P-bass that will be a chocolate three tone burst with a flame quatersawn neck, dark rosewood fingerboard, and sorted for light weight body. I'll post pics when it gets here. I have a 64 CS J-bass that I love, but it was ready to be shipped when I purchased it, and I only had to wait a week for UPS to get it to my dealer. The wait for this one is killing me!

2. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Nice. How long did they say it would take?

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Don't skimp on pics.

4. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Initially said it would take 3-4 months, but I'm hoping it will be sooner of course.

5. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I have a '59 P CS on order too, it was supposed to have been shipped on April 30th, but no word yet. I was very excited for a few months, but it has passed. Now I am curious to see it but will probably sell it unplayed as soon as it gets here. I wanted a CS P bass for years and years, then a month after I finally ordered it I tried a Sadowsky and that was that. Hope yours works out great for you....better avoid any Sadowskys that get in your way between now and then!

6. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Sorry for the thread Hijack, but what were the specs on that CS you ordered joiner?

7. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Funny, I have had the opposite experience. I have always been a Fender fan. It's the sound I hear on songs I love and is the sound in my head. I purchased a Sadowsky MS5 to see what it was all about. I loved the feel and workmanship on the Sadowsky over any Fenders I have aside from my CS 64 jazz, but it just doesn't have the tone I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, the MS5 sounds great, but it's not the tone I'm hearing in my head. Though my 62 RI is not constructed nearly as well or has the feel or playability of the Sadowsky, for me, I find myself playing it more because I like how it sounds better. I will adapt to a less playable bass if the tone kills, but that's just me.

8. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    BTW, I own the 59 RI P as well and it is my favorite sounding bass of the nine i have.

9. joinercape

Dec 22, 2007
    Didn't mean to hijack anything, sorry, I thought about ordering this CS bass for years, I've been a P bass guy forever. And the few CS P's I was lucky enough to try were awesome instruments. The one I have on order is a '59 NOS, maple board with abalone dots, Lake Placid Blue body and headstock face, white pearloid pickguard, bridge and pickup covers. It should be a really nice P bass.
    My humble apologies and best wishes to the OP, Rocky, hope your '59 P is the end-all bass for you. If I had been more patient and less impulsive, I'd be standing by the door watching for the UPS guy!

10. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Sounds like a nice 59 coming your way.

11. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'm looking for the classic P-bass sound so I will not be changing my mind, but I also want a MV5 Sadowsky at for the modern sounds. When I told my band leader I was thinking for canceling it for the Sadowsky he said "buy both". Gotta love that attitude, and I have to agree with him. lol
    Are you getting the maple fingerboard P-bass? Part of the reason I wanted a 59 was its the year I was born so this is a 50th B-day present to myself.

12. joinercape

Dec 22, 2007
    I like the way you think Rocky! I tried a '51 P (not a real one, a RI) thinking, that's the year I was born, but couldn't get into it, so I went with the '59 CS, because that's how old I am!
    I went for the Sadowsky because it has a great passive traditional P sound, as well as the modern P/J with a preamp sound. My go to bass before was a '62 RI, a really nice bass. I'm sure when they show up, both '59's will be awesome. Best wishes to you, and patience for the long wait!

13. Since we're talking Fender CS basses, here's my '55 and '59 reissues:

IMG003011.

IMG001731.

The '55 has been getting much more playing time these days, the single coil punch is just working for me right now. But I love the '59 too. Great basses, can't go wrong with the CS for a great Fender.

14. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I just sold a 51 P-bass RI myself a few weeks ago! It was a nice bass, but I got the 64 CS j-bass and I just didn't want to play the RI anymore. I have yet to play a Sadowsky, but a friend of mine said it was more modern sounding that a P-bass..Geez you think I would learn after all these years....nobody but us bass players really seem to care..lol

15. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Nice basses! I agree with you the CS basses are great.

16. Thanks! Don't forget to post pics of your CS '59 when you get it. Mine has been very reliable, and resonates wonderfully when played unamplified. It started out NOS in 2008 when I bought it but it's looking more closet classic these days. When I want split coil P-bass tone, that's the bass I grab.

17. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Beautiful! I'd love to find a '55 CS! Are they still making them?

18. No they discontinued them a few years back but you can still find them pop up now and then on eBay. That's where I found mine. Bass Central still has a few new but the price is a bit high.

19. joinercape

Dec 22, 2007
    I had a '62 RI jazz for while, it was a nice bass, I keep trying to love jazz basses, but the skinny necks just are not for me. You're lucky your band members even notice what you are playing! The bands I work with only notice if something sounds weird to them!
    Nice basses, Mastermold!

20. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I will definitely put up pics when I get it I promise. I hope it comes soon as I am falling deeper in love with the J-bass every day, and its gonna be tough figuring out which one to play..I know its a great dilemma to have..lol I bought both of my Fenders as NOS, and I really enjoy the way the J-bass is already starting to show all the playing it gets. To me its a badge of honor that can't be done in a factory IMHO, and no offense intended to any relic owners.