Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender CS 6 String Spotted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bucephylus, Dec 30, 2005.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I happened to be in Scottsdale today and swung by the GC there. Most of the stuff is the typical GC garbage, but they did have a few CS instruments, one of which was a rather artisticly constructed 6 string. It had 2 of the Roscoe Beck format dual coils and a bolt on multi-lam neck. Everything looked pretty well done, except the heel block was the size of a dual axle F350.

Of course, it was locked up under glass where no one, except maybe God, can play it. After all this is Snobbsdale, I mean Scottsdale. The price? A mere $5500. I did think about asking them to get it out and see what it could do, but the crew there were not very receptive. I'm not sure they understand the difference between a musical instrument and a bowling trophy. Kind of an unfortunate situation. Anyhow, that is no doubt the most tricked out Fender I have ever seen.

Coda: I did buy an $8 patch cord I needed, and felt like I'd spent too much there.

2. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Could you describe the model? I've always been interested in a Fender 6-string J.

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Hmmmm... $5500. That's three Valenti's, or maybe a BNF-5 and a Valenti...

4. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Kinda sounds like Tye Zamora's bass... looks sweet, but I wouldn't pay 5500$ for a fender, no matter what it looks like, especially considering what ELSE I could get with that kind of money.

5. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    IIRC, it had 3 walnut stringers in the neck; the rest was maple. The peghead was traditional Fender shape, but downsized on the order of the Pedulla Thunderbass headstock. Some kind of quite heavily figured rosewood board.

The body was heavily laminated in the center section like a neck through, even though it was a BO. The wings looked like walnut or mahogony core with maybe a maple burl top and back. The body shape reminded me more of a G&L L series shape with all the correct contours. There were the two dual coils in J positions with four knobs lined up like the first P Custom that the CS produced. It was nicely done. I hope that helps.

6. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Hmmm..., I could almost get two Roscoe SKB3006's for that price. I'll pass. lol...

7. I've seen some CS 6 strings with bocote fretboards, maybe that's what it had.

It doesn't sound like a Tye Zamora bass.

8. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Hey, I ain't sellin' it. I just thought it was ... unusual.

9. It´s gotta be this one.. at least the one that Geoff mentioned..

Attached Files:

10. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    That's pretty much it.

The headstock is standard Fender, just downsized.

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That's some pretty knotty wood, IMO...

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $5500 for a Fender? heh, why does their custom shop cost more than every other luthier ;) Im sure its a good bass, but $5500?

13. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    As I said, the GC shop seems to think it is mainly eye candy. I can't speak to playability or tone. It kind of reminds me of the folks with the fancy Steinways who won't let anyone play them.

If I were looking for a new 6, I'd probably look at one of the newer builders; for example, check out the current thread about the Yancey 6. However, it is interesting to see Fender putting instruments of this quality and construction into "play."