Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender CS 60 pickups or not?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Mar 6, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    How do I know if I have Fender Custom Shop 60s in my Geddy Lee jazz?

I traded for it and the original owner told me that it was a 1998 model that had CS 60s in them stock. I have been thinking about upgrading the pickups if they are not CS 60s.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Raise the pups as far as they will go. There should be a sticker on the side towards the bridge with Custom Shop written on it. As far as I know, CS 60s were never stock on Geddy Lee.

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Yeah,

The GL Pu's are Fender's 'Vintage 62's' or maybe they just call them 'Vintage series' now. Similiar to CS60's but different. A lot fo people really dig 'em.

4. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the help. I have been going back and forth for a while. I finally just went out to Guitar Center and ordered a set of Dimarzio Js. I am gonna throw those in and see how they compare to the "vintage" stock pickups.

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Did you get the ULtra Jazz Dimarzios? Those are awesome pickups!!(Same as Sadowsky's)

6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    The CS 60's also have the cloth wire insulation too.

7. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    No, I got the Dimarzio Js (dp123). I think both would be great but I read more about the Js that I thought would fit my style better.

8. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    GL basses have the "original" jazz pickups. Vintage style, but not custom shop. Not overwound like the CS pickups.

9. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i have a stock american p bass and was thinking of trying out the 62 pbass pickup instead, anyone know how these pickups compare? the pickup in there right now seems like it should have higher output then it does.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had the CS 60's in My GL and they were a great match for it...

11. I have a somewhat related question. I have pickups that supposedly came out of a newer Geddy Lee bass. The Fender website says that the "original" pickups have flush mounted magnets, but mine stick above the pickup cover and are beveled. Mine also have the cloth covered wires. I don't recall any markings or identification on the pickups. Do the Geddy Lee Jazz's pickups have beveled magnets? If not, anybody have any idea what pickups I have?

-Steve

12. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    yes the PUPs on the GL bass are beveled. I have a 2000 GL and a 97 California Special Precision that I put the Original 60's PUP in the bridge position and it too had beveled pole pieces.

I also put an Original 60's Precision PUP on the California Special and the tone from that pickup by itself is very warm and buttery. It's not jangly like Mark Hoppus. It doesn't have a lot of grit to the sound, it's just that 60's P-bass tone. Big, fat, round, a bit of the honk but definately not hi-fi or punk sounding.

hope that helps.