Fender CS 60 single coil noise question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bkchang79, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Right now I'm using the Fender CS 60s on my 75 jazz with a J-retro. I'm happy with the sound, but the hissing and noise is getting to me. I like to blend my pickups myself either full bridge or towards the neck and I always get noise. Instead of buying some humbucking pickups (more money) is there any other alternatives to shut my bass up.
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yes, - shield the cavities. I also have a '75 Jazz with CS60s and a J-Retro - talk about a coincidence! But, before I put in the pups and the preamp, I covered cavities with 4 coats of StewMac's shielding paint, and I get no noise at all.
  3. I covered my cavities with copper tape that I bought from carvin. How much did you pay for the stuff from stew mac. How hard is it to appy on?
  4. is there a certain way to put copper tape in the cavities?
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You need to have a "ground" connection with the foil tape.
  6. well I have the grounding plate that came with my CS60 pickups and covered the pickup cavity with copperfoil. The control cavity is also covered with copperfoil, but theres no wire touching that cavity.
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Shielding paint is much easier to apply in my opinion - I tried both. I bought a small can...can't recall what it cost, and so far shielded 2 basses and 2 guitars, and I haven't used up even a 1/4 of it.

Do a search here on Talkbass re. proper shielding techniques when using copper. All copper has to be connected to a comon ground etc etc.
  8. Sorry to exhume the topic. Have you noticed any change in sound after the shielding?
    I would like to upgrade to cs60, but I am worried about the hiss problem.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I have never noticed a difference in tone shielding any of my basses and I even shield the pickup surrounds. If anything, I find the it greatly improved as I no longer have to hear "hssssssss" when I am not touching any metal parts.

Just so you know shielding will not do anything for 60hz hum, only humbuckers can remove that. Shielding only addresses RF interference, the hum you get when you are not touching the strings/bridge/metal, so it will have no impact on 60hz hum. Everything I know on shielding can be read in the link in my signature.
  10. Ok, thanks for the answer. I realized that when recording bass solo parts (jb japan with stock pickups) the hiss is sometimes audible. It is a pity that one cannot play with the vol knobs without avoiding it.

Are there any noiseless jb pickups with a good high freq response? Natural tone, no overwound.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I use Lindy Fralin humbuckers and I love them but there are several great options. I would suggest making a new thread asking for options, you'll get a pile of options that way.