Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender CS 60's, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Muttluk, Jan 25, 2001.

1. I have a MIM Std. jazz, though a Eden WT-800 and D410xlt, now i get good tone and all, but i have a feeling either the bass, or the tone is holding me back. At bass NW, i tested the amp wiht a 62RI, and i got tone to die for. i cannot get that same tone, i got great tone, but not superior tone. Will the 60's do the trick? or am i better off buying a new bass?

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I would take the pickup out and look at the bottom of it. If it has seperate magnets charging the pole pieces it is using their cheap ceramic magnet pickup which in my opinion sound horrible. If you replaced that with a seymore duncan SPB-1 or a vintage fender replacement the improvment would be unbelievable and should sound very close to the vintage reisues.

3. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Sorry, i meant the SJB-1 the spb is for a p-bass.

4. I don't think that bass has the CS 60's pickups but rather the 'Vintage Jazz Bass Single Coils.' If you have a chance to play the Jaco CS Relic you'll hear the CS 60's. I run these pups in my MIA jazz and if you like the classic 60s J-tone, then these are the ones you want. It's all there, and fairly inexpensive too.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

check the Fender site but my guess is the 62RI bass probably has 62RI pups in it - and they don't sound like CS's. The CS's I've got actually sound more like JHB's/noiseless than singles to me, can of an active/synthetic/digital quality to them if that makes any sense. Pups from a Geddy Lee are supposedly '62 re-issue and they did sound like a passive true single J tone. Seems the Geddy's were in between the Vintage Fenders and US Highway 1's tonewise. Either the Geddy's or the 1's were definitely on the bright side.

They're both reviewed in Dimento's J experiment in the FAQ section. I think Smash and David Wilson also did CS's. Reviews on both should turn up elsewhere from google search.