1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender CS 62 Pickups vs EMG Geezers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Handyman, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Such a strange feeling - I'm actually considering NOT blowing my cash a set of new pickups. Last week I picked up a used 2015 Am Std P bass fully expecting that I'd rip out the pickups and drop in a EMG Geezer P. However, much to my shock, I'm actually finding the stock pickup to sound pretty good.

After some research, it turns out that in 2012 Fender swapped out the scooped-as-hell P pickups they had been using for quite a while with their new Custom Shop 62 pickups, which actually seem to sound a lot more like I expect a P bass should.

I'm on the fence here if I'm going to try the Geezers or not - I've generally loved the sound from Geezer loaded Ps, but I've not directly compared them to the later era Am Std stock pickups.

Anyone here have some experience comparing the two? Not having heard these two pickups in the same bass, I'm really not sure what to expect tone wise from a swap.

2. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    So, no one's put a Geezer in a 2012-2016 American Standard P, then?

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Never underestimate the strength of CS60Pup :D:D:D:D

If the bass sound nice with stock pup, i would not change it out. Unless for GZR die-hard fans.

4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The Geezer is really from the same wheelhouse as the Fender pickup. It's voiced classic, old school.

5. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Perhaps I'll stick with the stock pickup then. I was expecting the pre-2012 pickup, which was REALY different.

6. I really don't think you'll be happier with the Geezers. The Custom Shops are fine pickups that make a Precision sound like a Precision.

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The CS 60's were still too scooped for my taste. I prefer the GZR.