1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender CS Custom Classic - Sweetwater Exclusives

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillm47, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Looks like Sweetwater had several Fender CS Custom Classic jazz basses made to their own specs in both four and five string varieties.

What's the take on these? Anyone check these out yet, thoughts? (sorry if there is already a thread on them).

Sample 4 banger

Sample 5 Banger

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Pretty sick basses. I haven't heard many complaints with people's CS basses, except for they drop HUGE resale value if you decide to sell...

If I was going to get a CS bass, I'd probably look for a good deal on Ebay for close to half the price. But I guess then it wouldn't be totally custom...

3. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    The grain on the 5'er is crazy!

4. grifo

grifo

May 4, 2008
    Perugia, Italy
    +1

5. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    yeah looks like they got some sweet pieces of ash for those bodies...

but what the **** $3400?

6. I like this one that they have in stock - 5 miles from where I'm sitting....my wife would shoot me dead :meh:

Link

Attached Files:

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's the same as a NYC Sadowsky and cheaper than an Alleva-Copolo or Celinder (if you can find one.)

8. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    But you'd die happy...

9. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    That is a sweet sweet bass. Duck and roll buddy! Unless your wife is a good shot!

10. Good shot and has an age advantage :oops:

...she also has a cast iron skillet which wields pain :p

11. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I have a CS Custom Classic Jazz and it is the best Fender I have ever played. I absolutely love it.

12. you are no help at all ;)

13. Danimal00

Danimal00 Dealer: Sweetwater

Feb 28, 2006
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sound Senior Sales Engineer
    +1, I also have a Custom Shop Custom Classic Jazz bass. It is an amazing instrument. Fender Custom discontinued the Custom Classic a year or so back. As I understand it, this is the Sweetwater take on the older Custom Classic with the following changes:

Badass III Bridge (4 string version only)
    "AA" Flame neck
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickups
    Bound Fretboard (parchment on Rosewood, Black on Maple)
    White Pearl Inlay on Rosewood, Black Pearl Inlay on Maple

We are calling this our Custom Classic Special, and we have 40+ variations on order between the 4/5 string, fringerboard (rosewood/maple) and finish options to choose from.

Colors with Maple Fingerboard: Three Color Sunburst, Bing Cherry Transparent, Black, Cobalt Blue Transparent, Ebony Transparent, Mercedes Blue, Natural, and Violin Burst.

Colors with Rosewood Fingerboard: Three Color Sunburst, Aged Cherry Burst, Aged Vintage White, Bing Cherry Transparent, Candy Apple Red, Cobalt Blue Transparent, Ebony Transparent, Mercedes Blue, Olympic White, Sunset Orange Transparent, Violin Burst, and White Blonde.

The same thing is going to be available on the 5 string versions.

Of these 40+ versions, we have about 15 that have arrived. We have taken pictures of these and posted them in our guitar gallery by serial number, with more on the way soon.

Please PM me with any additional questions if the above does not clarify everything.

FYI, the Bing Cherry Transparent 4 string posted above is no longer available as it has sold.

Thanks!
    Dan

14. Dan you are an evil man for posting pics of all those beautiful basses! I'm forced to gaze at them daily against my will! Lead me not into temptation! :D

15. cycler

cycler

Oct 6, 2010
    About the electronics: Hows the pre/ EQ on this version, I see so many swapping Fenders for Audere's etc.

Is there a passive mode, I didn't see any mention and I always worry about battery failing mid set.

Could one of these be re-wired for a passive switch ?

They do look nice

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a Custom Classic and I will say it does not need anyone elses pre in it. I have a 9volt version and it has more headroom than my 18volt basses! The newest ones did have a passive/active switch. As far as batteries failing mid set I have never had that happen on any bass!

17. Wow - some really cool colors! I thought they retired Sunset Orange? (I have 2 :D) the other trans colors are amazing!! The Mercedes blue looks banging too . . . I wish Fender would offer more color choices, seems odd to me they dont . . .

18. Gomeztool

Gomeztool Banned

Dec 10, 2010
    Cali
    Where' the chartreuse green?

[​IMG]

19. kerrycares

kerrycares Lover of God, People , Music and Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    I had a cobalt blue 5 banger ash/rosewood. I personally prefer the sound of the traditional Fender wood combinations of alder/rosewood or ash/maple. The ash/rosewood has a midrange unique unto itself. I kept it for a month, put a badass bridge on it, then sold it. It is online at Guitar Center in Southfield,Mi for about $1900. No complaints about build or electronics, good Fender basses. Easy way to get into one for 30 days test drive.

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    That's burning my retinas! :eek: