1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender CS Jazz problem...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonegroover, Jun 29, 2007.

1. lonegroover

lonegroover

Jul 16, 2006
    Anyone know what this might be:

I've got a active Fender CS Jazz (less that a year old) and I normally have the pot for switching pickups set flat (50% each neck and bridge). I was playing through the phones last night and rolled the bridge Pup off and Neck right up. As I reached what should have been full on neck there was no volume. In fact it was cutting out just over 3/4way to the point of being on max neck Pup.

When I checked further by rolling back towards flat (50/50) overall volume seemed to step up considerably once the pot reached flat (50/50).

I hope this makes sense to someone. I checked both batteries with a tester and they both seemed OK.

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I once owned a 96 USA Jazz Bass Deluxe with the active
    John Suhr designed electronics which had a blend control
    for the pickups and I'm thinking the current Fender active
    electronics on you J-Bass might be of a similar arrangement.
    I was able to max my master volume control for any pickup
    when soloing either pickup as well for any degree of blend
    with no cut off of volume whatsoever.
    Your'e probably gonna' have to talk to a Fender tech to
    see if your bass has a 'volume kill' detent on the master
    volume control similar to some guitars and basses that
    have such a feature when they have a master volume control.
    Is this 'problem' something new to you if have had your
    bass for awhile or is this bass completely new to you and
    you have just discovered that the volume pot had a 'dead
    zone' to it? I wish you luck in sorting it out.

3. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Lightly tap on the neck pickup with a metallic object and with the blend control @ 50%. Do you get sound from it? Now tap the back pickup similarly. Do you get an equal volume from the rear? I'm wondering if either the pickup or the circuit supporting the front pickup is inop.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021