1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom Classic 5 or Sadowsky metro 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hibass, Jan 3, 2012.

1. hibass

hibass

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm about to buy a 5 string reliable,versatile bass and hesitating between a Sadowsky Metro jazz and a Fender custom Classic.Fender Custom Classic necks are quarter sawn maple, brilliantly smooth and fast and quite stable.But how about Metro necks?I like Fender CS preamp and electronics but i think Sadowskys are far more better.So if you have please share your experiences with me.Thanks

2. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    My preference would be the Sadowsky. Although I've had my hands on many a Fender, I can't say I've had the pleasure of playing a CS; I'm sure they're great though.

I considered my Sadowsky purchase for some time and weighed what info I could find into making the decision as there wasn't anywhere around me at the time that had a Sadowsky that I could play. So based strictly off the mostly rave reviews that TB has of Sadowsky basses, I bought one and couldn't have made a better decision. Love the fit, finish and playability of my MV5. The Sadowsky pre is a work of art that just seems to find it's place to shine in any mix. I like 'um but, there are those that don't.

Different strokes for different folks though. My recommendation? Go with a used Sadowsky as, if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it pretty easily.

Good luck!

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Sadowsky, of course

Rob

4. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Custom Classic. Of course!

Really my perfect bass. Light (8.8 lbs). One-piece ash "undersized" body. Quartersawn neck with the best shape ever (IMO). Love the eq and the pickups.

Sounds like a REAL jazz bass. At least I think so! Judge for yourself:

JEANNIE DANIELS BAND - HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE - YouTube

I don't think you could go wrong either way, actually. But the CC is my fave bass. And I've been doing this awhile.

5. B.Anderson

B.Anderson Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    I've had a CS NOS '64 jazz and it sounded fantastic. When I had to decide between that and my vintage 4 Sadowsky the choice was very easy to keep the Sadowsky for what I wanted. I have since bought 2 used Metro's RV5 & M5-24 and love them as well.

B.

6. kerrycares

kerrycares Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    do you have the opportunity to go play them and compare?
    that may help in addition to all of the information posted.
    they are both great basses that feel and sound totally different.
    and both seem to hold their value pretty well.

In the past I have preferred the Fender but I just posted a thread called Sweetest Sadowsky ever that could make me rethink that.

Things keep changing so if you get a chance please go play them both.

7. jeff5311

jeff5311

Jan 27, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I have both and play both.

The Sadowsky preamp IMO is voiced better. You will also love the VTC.

I've had to swap out the pickups on my fender custom classic. Yes, the noiseless pickups were noisy. The neck on the Fender is thinner, but not faster IMO. The build quality on the Fender CS is superb. The new preamps they are putting in may sound better than the one in my 2010 though. Id also like a passive active switch on it.

If you get a sadowsky metro put single coils in it.

Again, you can't go wrong with either, but my sadowsky is my fave of the two.

8. mgbass

mgbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Northern KY
    Sadowsky - IMO, both are great instruments, but the Sad is just better overall, and the re-sale values are much better for the Sadowsky.
    Good Luck!

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That is a really nice clip. Sounds great. I just sold a Sadowsky MV5. Great bass but...I like the sound of the Fender in this clip more.

10. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Thanks! I appreciate your comment.

It's always hard to pick a top-level axe, IMO. It becomes a decision based upon nuances rather than features (although that's important, too).

Roger makes absolutely amazing basses, no doubt. A good friend of mine has a totally awesome NY Sad that plays and sounds like pure butter. It's hard to keep your hands off it!

BUT, I think Fender has done a great job with the CC line to keep the trad sound of the classic Jazz Bass in a modern format. There's no question that I was looking for the JB sound -- but I also wanted superb fretwork, no dead spots, lovely color and finish. Yummy, really.

Anyway, thanks again!

Attached Files:

11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Is this a trick question?

12. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Of course it is!

Why would anyone on TalkBass talk about basses?

13. hibass

hibass

Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks guys,
    Now I'm a bit closer as I played a Metro UV70today.Unfortunately there was no Fender Custom Classic fiver to compare.But they had a US deluxe 2010 which I think probably the best deal on the market today.Fantastic sound,playability,design,and its neck is graphite reinforced...etc.Hands down Fenders recently make top level instruments for reasonable price.I'd buy a Fender fiver without no hesitation if there are no Sadowskys around.
    Second time I tried a Sadowsky in my life and now completetly understand why people praise Roger and his masterpieces.Metro's neck is wider on fretboard but thinner then the Deluxe and it felt more balanced.Sadowskys preamp and electronics is unbeatable that's 100% sure.
    I wish I could try a Custom Classic fiver too but now i dont have that much temptation after a Sadowsky.

14. hibass

hibass

Dec 2, 2011
    What a cool sound!No wonder if i'm hesitating......I want a CC and a Metro too:bassist:

15. Wow. What a beauty.