1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom Classic Jazz V help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Heart of bass, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hey players,

My minds been going crazy lately... and ive fallen for the Jazz tone. I have a Musicman Stingray 5 HH, and im really liking the passive Jazz tone, as well as the MIA deluxe Jazz tone.

However... i really like the look of the Fender Custom shop Jazz V, and i like how its eq is voiced compared to the MIA Deluxe.

I'm an aussie... and currently i cant find any music stores around that have a Custom classic jazz in stock... and fender has said that this year the line is discontinued... but i really want to get one sometime soon.

My biggest problem is does anyone know what the main difference is between the Custom classic and the MIA deluxe?

In both
    1. Feel
    2. Tone

I've seen some Custom classic owners out there so maybe you could lend me a hand with addressing these intangible issues!

Thanks heaps guys!

2. Nitkin

Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    Barcelona,Spain
    i believe EQ's are the same. Custom classic plays better for my taste, but there is no big difference.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a custom classic 4, a FMT V and have played the MIA DLX V jazzes and I can tell you the preamps sound way different to me! The preamp in my FMT V sounds different and the custom classic is a notch better sounding to my ears than that! As a matter of fact my custom classic is a 9volt bass and my FMT V is an 18volt bass but the custom classic is "cleaner" with the same amount of headroom. The custom classic comes with "custom noiseless" pups that may or may not have something to do with this.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Also, at our rehearsal space we have a bunch of guitars and basses. One bass is a 2008 MIA DLX V. One day I took my FMT V to rehearsal and the DLX V jazz was on a stand, i a/b'd the two playing the DLX first then the FMT V. The FMT smoked the DLX and everyone in the room agreed! Now my custom classic sounds better imho than the FMT. As far as feel goes the custom classic V has a slimmer neck front to back and as you can imagine is just more comfortable to play. Where these basses shine when you record them! The only problem is they have been discontinued!:bawl:

5. Thanks for the awesome comments pyrohr.
    Would i be able to ask a couple more :) ?

Would you say the sound of the custom classic is more aggressive, and more midy, or is it well balanced, or similar to a passive tone?

Also would you say the custom classic is much bigger/heavier than the Dlx or FMT?

Atm im trying to head towards a lighter bass if i can... but if the tones there, ill endure through the weight haha... but weight only becomes an issue on long shows... like 3-4hours of standing up in the same place...

On the subject of discontinuation... im almost confident that ill be able to track one in trans ebony finish. Because you dont see many of them in Australia and also because of the price over here... RRP4899! Im hoping that there is at least 1 left in the distributors warehouse.

Thanks again for your help mate.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The tone of the custom classic is very organic, kinda like the tone of a Victor Bailey jazz (I own one of those too). I'm sure it will do aggressive but that's not what I need it for. My first love is a passive jazz but this bass gives me bass boost without being boomy and treble boost without being shrill! After all this is a Fender Custom Shop bass! These are Fender's flagship basses. These are the basses fender uses the best woods, electronics etc. The bodies are downsized like the DLX basses with the difference being choice woods only are used for these basses. Here's a review on Harmony Central about the bass in question.

Product: Fender Custom Shop Classic Jazz
    Price Paid: UNKNOWN
    Submitted 11/27/2007 at 08:03pm by Johnathan Groan
    Email: jgroan<at>gmail dot com

Features : 10
    2007 Fender Custom Classic 5 string. Olympic White with a tortus shell pickguard. Alder body with two custom noiseless pickups and 18 volt preamp, which boost 30, 10000 and 18000 Hz (Not the same as a Deluxe. Much better in my opinion). When frequencies are boosted to the max, this bass still sounds good (No nasally mids or boomy lows). The hardware on this bass is top notch, especially the tension retainers on the headstock, which are solid plates screwed down flush to the wood.

Sound : 10
    When I plugged this bass in I got instant Marcus Miller. This thing has so much punch, warmth and presence, it's unbelievable. I've played many high-end basses and have owned 6 basses (Music Man, American Peavey Cirrus, Fender American Deluxe and Fender American P). This bass makes all basses that I have ever owned sound like Fender Squires and I'll say better than all those high end basses too. My friends and I were in awe at the sounds from this bass and one of them owns a 55-94 Lakland, which he purchased after playing all the other high end basses at The Perfect Bass in Baton Rouge, LA. This bass has a tight B-string (not floppy like other Fender 5s) and this thing will chime at every fret. It has the sound I've been looking for.

Action, Fit, & Finish : 10
    Action, Fit & Finish were perfect out of the box.

Reliability/Durability : 10
    This is a well made bass with quality hardware. I haven't had it long, but I'm pretty sure it will hold up just like most other Fenders.

Customer Support : No Opinion
    N/A

Overall Rating : 10
    I've been playing for 15 years every week in church, in addition to doing studio work. If this bass were lost or stolen, I would get another one! In my opinion, this bass is number 1 and I've played the basses @ Bass Central in Orlando and The Perfect Bass. Fender has definitely done it right this time! Play one and you'll see.

7. I like that about the bailey jazz as well... thanks a lot for you input... ive also done the rounds of review sites, etc.

8. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I had a Custom Classic V for a while. Beutiful and very well made bass. It was a alder/maple with Noiceless pups/18V pre. The bass played very well and the B was very good. But I just could not get the bass to cut through the way I want. I replaced the pups with some Nordstrands, and that was a nice step up IMO. Still could`nt get the live-sound right, so I sold it.
    IMO this bass is a bit overpriced, and I would concider to also take a closer look at other basses, like the Sadowsky Metro.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

10. Yer, ive heard this bass recorded and played live at big arena's and it sounds great. But the main reason why i love this bass is because of the asethics, if i wanted a passive bass that looks similar i would have gotten a Lakland Darryl Jones Sig bass.

When u mean cut through, you are talking more about your mids and highs yer? What type of mids do u like? And do you use effects, etc?

Ive also played a few metros MV's and RV's however i find the string spacing and neck width a bit on the large side for me... i am actually tall and have big hands, but the fret board never felt right for me, the tone is great but if i dont have a good feel... I play a stingray 5 and its spacing is a little on the tight end of the spectrum for a fiver... but ive found the fender 5's spacing to be just right, which allows me to get my thumb and index middle inbetween the strings better so i can utilize my RH techniques easier on the top strings rather than just on the A D G strings.

Thanks for your thoughts anyway, when u ask for help you cant just rely on the positive comments, you need the negatives that ppl have to help find your answer :)

Thanks guys
    Pete

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I usually start out with the basses eq flat. depending on the song I might add a tad treble or bass but usually the mids stay the same. BTW I'm an r&b, funk bassist.

12. phyrohr im very appreciative of your comments but... the dream is now dead...

i got an email from The basscentre, in Australia and the problem is as such;

"Fender is not showing any of those basses in stock anymore and we have sold everything that we had, as they are no longer in production and Fender Australia don't have any we can not get you one..."

...There might be a chance i could find one second hand... but im not the type of person who goes for dirty second hands...

Should start another thread now...