1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Classic Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those of you who own Fender Custom Classic basses, especially fives, why do you like them? How do you feel they are different from the American Deluxe basses besides their looks?

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    you thinking about a Fender Custom Classic Cheese?

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Maybe, but I have to sock away more cash before I do anything like that. I have been wanting a boutique or highend Jazz Bass for a while. Sadowsky is the one I most often think of, but I also like Lowend, AtelierZ, and Celinder, but I am something of a Fender fan. Custom Classic Vs really are beautiful. I like the grain of those quatersawn necks, and frankly, I always like the idea of having a real Fender. If my new band ends up being a money maker, I will finally be able to put away some money for a nice bass and I will make a decision at that time.:)

4. I have a four string custom classic. I must admit, it smokes. :D

5. Here's a pic.

customJblackburst.

6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Subscribed. I love everything about my ADJV. Admittedly, I would prefer a different color, but that's just the vanity talkin'.:D I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

I have seen a lot of CS's that look great. I honestly can't imagine that they are better quality, but I've not had a chance to actually play one, so who knows. I would really like to hear from someone who has played/owned both.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I loved my American Jazz Deluxe V too. I pannicked and sold it too quickly in response to paying too many after Christmas bills.:scowl: I played a Custom Classic four at Sam Ash in NYC last January, and I felt it was alot like a Deluxe, but the setup was not ideal, so I would need more experience before I could really compare the two.

8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I like them better, than the deluxes, standard, squiers (don't laugh, some of them feel almost 'right')

MOST of them have been a lot lighter, and the neck carve is definitely different and much more comfortable to me. For an ash maple bass, I thought about owning one of these more than I did a sadowsky. To be fair, trans black and trans blue are my fave colors.

You get a good one, and it's bliss. And I have owned (loose term) 5, only one was pretty weighty. My ONLY con (besides I would have preferred 19mm spacing, but did not mind I believe that 18mm) is that there was no passive tone control. I just don't roll without one these days.

But, this is what I play these days, and it's basically a rip on the custom classic 5 of my dreams. Of course, with a j-retro deluxe ;)

[​IMG]

9. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I've been considering dropping in a Nordy preamp with passive tone control. I've heard a lot of good things about 'em. I really don't have any problems with the stock pre. As a matter of fact, I usually run it flat with just some treble roll off, but you know GAS.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a CS custom Classic IV and a couple of DLX's. A Victor Bailey, an FMT V, and have owed the MIA dlx. The pre amp is voiced different than the MIA DLX version. We have a MIA DLX V 2008 model at our rehearsal space and I have played it but it does not hold a candle to my MIA FMT V which also has a different voicing than the MIA DLX V. My Custom Classic even though it has a 9 volt pre is much cleaner than the FMT V with the 18 volt pre! My cousin just got his Custom Classic after waiting 1 year and it's pretty close to my FMT! maybe that's the reason the FMT was discontinued? Btw if you want a new Custom Classic you will have to find one on the shelf, they stopped making them!!!

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hey thanks!:) I'm bummed they stop making them because by the time I have enough money, I likely won't be able to get a new one. It looks like I will end up going boutique afterall.

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Cheese, if you want another Fender five do yourself a favor and try and find the FMT/QMT V. You seem to be a Fender lover like me and believe me I understand why. Try both, the Custom Classic v and the FMT/QMT V and see out of the three which one is your sound.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have never heard a boutique bass that sounded like a Fender. :rollno:

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I will definitely look for a FMT. They look so good, that even they sounded like poo, I wouldn't mind having one for decoration! As for Custom Classics, it seems that Bass Central has several, and hopefully a few will be around by the end of the year. The good thing is that they have not raised prices on them at all.:)

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is true my brother. Frankly, if all else fails, getting a Deluxe in ash with a maple fingerboard would be pretty awesome too.:bassist:

16. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    I personally had a Custom Classic five, and I loved that bass. I sold it to pay off a new Fodera, but I do regret it. It was the most versatile bass I've owned. I could go straight from Church on Sunday morning to a Jazz Gig Sunday evening and it did great. I even tenored the bass for a few months and it was great. Great Basses!

17. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I agree. They are phenominal basses, not to mention absolutely gorgeous. The only reason I got rid of mine is because I came to the painful realization that i'm a 4 string kind of guy, so I sold it to help fund my Sadowsky Metro MV4. Note that i've never played a Custom Classic Jazz though.
    It was my prettiest jazz style bass i've ever owned, check her out.
    dsc00277.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    DAYYAMN!!!:eek:

19. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Wait are you dead set on a new one? With your track record? :smug:

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If i actually stick to my plan and save up, it will be an indication that my mind is made up. I know for sure that I am a Jazz bass lover, and I know for sure that I love Fenders. Given those two facts, a top of the line Fender makes a lot of sense for me.:D