1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom made bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkfinger, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Hey all,
    Recently I have been having a very sexy dream about a custom Fender Jazz, 6 string fretless...:eek: I have done some research on the Fender Custom Shop website, but all I get is basses they`ve already made for rockstars...
    Do they do full custom work for your average joe?
    My guess is that for the right price they`ll do just about anything, but as of yet I haven`t been able to wrangle any info on the subject.
    Anyone know for sure?
    Cheers.

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    PM TBer "SamJ". He has a couple of Fender CS Jazz basses and has dealt with them for quite some time.

cheers,
    Kevin

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

AFAIK there is only one 6 string Fender bass in existence and it belongs to Tye Zamora.
    AlienAntFarm5-11-0517.
    Not counting the Fender VI of course.
    I believe they will do it for you if you put enough money on the table but builder like Valenti or Benavente could do just the same or even better for less money.

4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    The only thing sillier looking than that bass is the guy playing it. I'm sorry, but who the hell is that and what circus is he in the pit band for?

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Another option for a 6-string Jazz bass would be a Low End bass.
    I'm sure they could put a killer fretless sixer in your hands for a lot less than the Fender CS.

http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/index.htm

Contact Brian Barrett, he's a TBer.

cheers,
    Kevin

6. holy crap,
    that was a lot of quick replies,
    cheers for the ideas!!
    and yes that cat dancing around looks like maybe he just ate some crazy acid.:hyper:

7. That is not entirely true.There have been sightings of CS Fender Jazz 6 strings with exotic woods at NAMM some time ago.

8. Top Gear

Top Gear

Mar 15, 2006
    Fender is making a Steve Bailey signature 6 string fretless. I got to play Steve's prototype of it at Victor Wooten's bass camp. It is a standard jazz style sunburst with a tortoise shell pickguard in a slightly different shape. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it.

I'm not sure exactly when it will go into production or how much it will cost. I only got to play it for a minute, and it was the first time I played a six string fretless, but it felt good to me.

9. He used to be the bassist for Alien Ant Farm.

10. Oh dear god, that sounds fantastic...
    I can only hope they will put that baby into production sooner than later...as I was dreaming of a CS six string JB it occurred to me that being the huge corp. that fender is, a custom six`er would cost more than a down payment on a house....however, if they`ve got one coming out....:eek:

11. I think he's actually a very good bassist. Just because he likes to joke and dance on the stage doesn't makes him someone to avoid. I kind of like that bass, definitely not a regular fender at all, that's always cool. And that comes from a classic image lover, sort of "Precision and Ampeg fridge"... hi hi hi hi...

12. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    steve bailey has a 6 string fretless fender custom shop. im not sure if they are availible to the public, but i know they are out there

13. I'd also go with them if you're looking for a 6er, among a ton of luthiers who make J style and other basses. I'm not gonna say Fender doesn't know how to make a good 6er, but I think there are plenty of companies that have much more experience and have better odds of making something you'd want.

It would be neat to get a Fender built like a Rob Allen, too...but I'll stick with Rob, who has tons more experience, if that makes any sense.

14. mdangelo

mdangelo Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I've seen them. They are quite impressive for Fender. Take away the logo and you could swear it was made by a boutique builder.

15. Jazz Ad

Mmmhh.
    Fender's custom shop is a boutique builder in every possible way.

16. Kinda yes, kinda no. Depends on your definition. Having owned a custom shop at one time, playing others, and once almost ordering a custom shop guitar.......I wasn't that impressed. I felt that the prices they charged for different options felt more like a punishment for not wanting what they had stock. Other luthiers often don't charge for a lot of various comfort/convenience options, within reason of course.

All of the ones I played had a nice feel and good sound, but nothing that absolutely wowed me, if that makes any sense. The first time I picked up a friend's Curbows and my Rob Allen basses, all I could say was wow.

17. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Darkfinger, check my response to your PM, but for anyone else reading the thread.. basically the Custom Shop will make ANYTHING you want, the price is the limit. You can get a 12 string bass.. just be prepared to pay up. It could be most cost effective to go to a boutique 12 string building in such a case.. If on the other hand you want a slightly custom version of a Fender Jazz VI or other production (or prior production) model, it's reasonable to get into one for about $6000 or so retail.

18. Sam,

So is 6K what the customer would pay? I always get messed up on retail and customer pricing and all that... ;)

19. regarding the options of going to another builder...
    call me close minded, but as a fender obssessor(sp?) I think I would be doing myself an injustice by going with another builder.:ninja:
    Let the s@#t storm begin!:D

20. Jazz Ad

That's fine.
    Obsessions come at a price.
    Fender surely knows how to entertain and make money out of them.