1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom Shop ‘64 Jazz: I still do not see the Sadowsky Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This Bass is great for what it is: a reproduction of nice old Jazz Bass. Whether outfitted with flats and or roundwounds, it was meant to sound like a vintage passive bass, and the bass handily succeeds in that task.

A Sadowsky is active and is meant to provide a sound different from a passive Fender, even if it looks like one. I remember interviews where players actually mentioned that Sadowsky was a way in which players could access modern tones when dealing with engineers who only wanted Fenders.

Jim Carr, DJ Bebop, 74hc and 3 others like this.
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Depends on the Sadowsky. Get their ultra vintage model with single coils and runnit passive.....

3. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    A lot of people seem to assume that Sadowsky = Fender but better. In my experience Sadowskys have their own voice and that voice is notably different from what a Fender produces - even when the Sadowsky is running passive with singles.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Fair point. Likewise, run the Custom Shop through a nice outboard preamp.

Pbassmanca and davidprice like this.
  5. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I agree that Sadowsky basses have their own voice which is different than a Fender.
    Sadowsky voice better is always a subject up for debate!

6. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I think the tone of that CS Fender would sound different with fresh strings.

xroads and Skillet like this.
  7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Who is comparing them to Sadowsky? I like them, I consider them one of Fenders best and most consistent models. And if you are looking to reproduce the sound of a pre-CBS Jazz, and don't have the funds for the real thing they are a nice alternative. I've been impressed by everyone I've played, I just personally think the Sadowsky tone works better for the variety of stuff I play. But if I had some extra dough I'd consider adding one to the arsenal.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It is interesting that this bass was set up with old flats because it as traded in for that sweet Spector Coda I played week before last.

Mr_O'B and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I said what I said because Custom Shop Fenders are often brought up as being good as Sadowsky, but the Custom Shop no longer has an active Jazz on their roster. That is why I say that I don’t get the comparison.

Mr_O'B, Pbassmanca and burk48237 like this.
  10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Which ever you put into your hands and you feel totally comfortable is the bass for you. That goes to Fodera, MusicMan, MTD, Alleva Copollo, Sadowsky, Fender exc. I would not use active as a way that makes a bass better or sounding better. Famous Pickup Maker Bill Lawrence once said batteries are for flash lights. I have basses with passive and some with active and I like/love them all.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have active and passive instruments too. I get what you are saying.

Bassist30 likes this.
  12. They are compared probably in terms of luthiery and quality of construction not specifically in terms of design or tone ... I believe that in this case there may be no winner although I have heard that, until not long ago, Sadowskys were well controlled but assembled basses, like the basses built by Nash ... Fender CS have always been hand-built from scratch ... (this will unchain Sadowsky hooligans although it is fact)

13. Well stated :thumbsup:

Mr_O'B, Pbassmanca and Bassist30 like this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Quality of construction is fair, but even then we must remember that many Custom Shop Basses are relic’ed. I am pretty sure no Sadowsky come relic’ed from the shop. I prefer to put them in separate categories and appreciate each for what it is.

15. Oh ah, yes, a good part of Fender CS made basses are relic’d and that’s a feature not shared by Sadowsky (personally I believe that buying a relic’d nitro-finished is not a very logical choice, but ...)

Pbassmanca and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    For me, this is no contest: the Sadowsky wins in a landslide. To be honest, I’ve never owned a Sadowsky, but all the people I’ve heard playing them in Nashville sound way better than the Fender players. Yeah - their top end models are pricey, but they look and feel great.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I have both a CS Fender Jazz and a NYC Sadowsky. The Sadowsky simply builds on the Fender fundamentals and takes it a few phases further. Even in passive mode the Sadowsky has something very special going on. Better? I love 'em both for different reasons.

Jim Carr, ceerod, Mr_O'B and 4 others like this.
  18. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I don't think there is or no better or wourth, they are kind of with their own secrets in sound, that is why some peaople choose Fender, some -Sadowsky.

19. Wise words ....

Mr_O'B, JLY, Spidey2112 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    You are saying Sadowskys are parts basses and that’s totally incorrect.

Jim Carr, GregC, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.