Fender Custom Shop '59 Precision Bass VS '64 Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drums1977, Apr 8, 2017.

1. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Hi guys,

I own two Fender CS '59 PBasses which I love, and I have played a bunch of them over the last few years. I have been dribbling over the CS '64 PBass model for a while now, I don't know why. Probably just out of irrational GAS and collector's greed. I have never been able to play one in the flesh, but I suddenly wondered if there is actually any real difference between the 59 and the 64 model, I mean apart from the finish or PG colour (the "standard" CS 59 comes in SB with anodized PG, and the 64 is SB and tort). Are the neck profiles different? Are the PUs different? Body shape? I mean, is this just a trick to fool customers like myself???

Any imput would be appreciated, thanks!

2. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    I think I just spotted one difference, 7.25" Radius on the 64 VS 9.50" Radius on the 59, apparently.

3. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Any experiece with the 64?? It doesnt seem to be a lot of these around!!

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  4. The '59 has an ash body IIRC, and a slab rosewood fretboard, with the '64 having a thinner veneer fretboard with an alder body. That has distinct impacts on the sound. The neck of the 59 will be a fuller, almost D-shape, with the '64 having a wide, shallow C-shape.

5. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Oh, didnt know the actual body wood is different! What is IIRC, if you dont mind my asking?

6. Microcosm

Microcosm

Sep 14, 2006
    Indiana
    IIRC = if I remember correctly

7. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    I love that

8. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Not too sure about the body. I own two CS 59 Ps and I am pretty sure both bodies are alder. You are correct about the slab board on the 59 as opposed to veneer on the 64, although I don't think the veneer is much thinner - just had a look at the veneer board on my CS 64 J and that is not particularly thin in comparison to the 59 P. I do have an original 63 jazz which has an incredibly thin fingerboard, not sure when Fender originally changed that.
    EDIT: Just checked on line, one site says alder body and one ash. Both mine are older models so it may be that the more recent ones are ash????

drums1977 likes this.
  9. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DMV
    The body wood could be either alder or ash, and not necessarily depending on the finish either...I've seen both with sunburst finishes, and both in solid finishes as well....I've owned both a '59 and a '64, and while I thought my '59 was excellent, I prefer the '64, mostly due to feel...the neck on the '64 is quite a bit more comfy for me and affords me more speed than the '59 did certainly (deeper profile in the neck combined with Jamerson Flats raising the action quite a bit made for slow goings)...both pickups are better than the pickup in the Palladino bass, and I like the PP, but it's definitely in third place when comparing pickups between the three....the '59 pickup sounded a little darker and fuller to my ear (MAYBE due to the slab board..?), but the '64 had a bit more of a mid range bump and is quite a bit more dynamic sounding, especially when tweaking the tone control....if I had bigger hands and maybe switched to a lower tension string set on the '59, maybe it would still be here, but I really got this '64 working for me...I feel like I like its "singing voice" better, but both are outstanding ...IMO, as always...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Tim1 and drums1977 like this.
  10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Boils down to try before you buy, if you can. Both my CS59Ps are wonderful machines, but I do prefer one marginally over the other. I tend to graduate towards the sonic blue relic over the sunburst closet classic. Neck on the relic feels a tad deeper and thinner for some reason, although it probably isn't. Plus I currently have flats on the 'burst. Relic 59 with rounds does it for me now, although the other with flats was my main gigging bass for a few years. Know what Ace of Bass means about singing voice - once you find one it's hard to go back.

11. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    I also have two 59s, love them to bits. After a bit of research and your replies here I just bought a 64 I was offered. Heavy relic, Oly white, which seems to be a rare bird. All the other white 64s I have found online are "L series 64s", which I believe is the same bass with an "L" on the neck plate... Fender marketing at its best LOL
    CAN'T wait to try it since I really find my 59s almost perfect and everyone having owned the 64 prefers them over the 59!!
    I also used to have the pino. Great bass but I prefer my 59s too.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  12. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I must confess that even though I own two 59s it is the CS 55 scpb that is getting most of the playing time at the moment. A cs64 P doesn't tempt me at all currently. Too much mojo already in the 59s and I really love the anodized pickguard look.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  13. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    On reflection, this seems to summarise the difference between the two necks on my 59s. One certainly feels wider and shallower. Both different years, so maybe Fender played around a bit with neck shapes? I must measure them.

14. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DMV
    Maybe they were spec'd out differently..?

15. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DMV
    They're both amazing instruments and you really can't lose either way...all about preferences when it comes to the details...

Tim1 likes this.
  16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yep, it has always intrigued me. Two different shades of awesomeness, although I do tend to favour the sonic blue relic which is slightly less wide and deeper I feel. But the wide neck sunburst is I suspect more true to the original - although if you go back to the original there was probably quite a wide variance back in the day.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  17. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    So you guys know, this is the one:

$_86.jpg

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  18. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DMV
    Oh wow...!...it looks like a bass I saw an overseas video of on YouTube...the sound was killin'...I'm sure this one slays too..nice score....!

drums1977 likes this.
  19. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Apparently it was made for the NAMM show 2014.

20. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DMV

.....very similar indeed...anyway, here's a glance at perhaps what you have to look forward to....he starts grooving around 3:45....:thumbsup: