Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Custom Shop 60s are in my Jazz!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillisCool, Dec 14, 2005.

1. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to write up a little mini review of the Fender Custom Shop 60s Jazz pickups!

I have what was originally a Geddy Lee Jazz... which Isn't really a Geddy anymore. I changed out the neck for an American P neck and put on a black pickguard. I really liked the Geddy as a platform for my 'dream' J bass because of the pickup spacing and the BA bridge.

I really enjoyed the tone of the pickups that came in the bass... and most people commented how well my bass sounded. But, they're pretty low output and I wasn't getting the volume I needed out of the bass... and I'm pretty fickle when it comes to tone, so I thought I'd try something else.

I popped these CS pickups in yesterday and went to band practice to try them out. I'm am SOOOOOOOO impressed by the sound of these pickups. They are probably what I would refer to as 'tastefully hot.' The low end is so smooth and warm, without booming out. The high end is high and smooth. The mids are just amazing; punch, punch, punch... even out of my 15" combo. The volume is perfectly level across all of the strings.

The weird part... it's like my bass is physically easier to play now. I'd probably attribute that to the fact that I have more output and I don't have to push it to make the sound I want. It's very comforting.

This bass along with my 15" scout combo are all I'll ever need. :) :) :) ...for now.

I'll probably record our next show... which I think is the 30th... and post a recording or two here so you guys can hear them.

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    wow! I have a similar story with my Fender CS P-bass pickups in my '73.. they are amazing!!! What are in the Geddy Lees?? I thought it came with Fender CS pickups?

3. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
  4. How much were these pups?I ordered a SX jazz copy,I imagine I will be replacing the standard pups soon,and where might one find these?

5. what did you do with the geddy neck ?

6. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I got mine from some dude on ebay... but they have them at musiciansfriend.com for $99

The Geddy neck went to a friend of mine in about .2 seconds. :)

7. damn.. I love that neck :D

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

seems I've heard numerous mention of these CS P pickups but when I contacted a manufacturer he assured me there was no such thing as a Fender CS P pickup around. I thought at the time I maybe confused my reading with the Jazz.

This apparently is the first time I've seen mention of it again. I've got a pretty good grip on what Fender's done with their J's but to my knowledge, basically the only American Fender P pup in use is the '62 original. They've got that wierd '57 lego pole pup they make for some reason. And that's it that I'm aware of.