Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Custom Shop 60's J-Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OneWayPunk, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Well, I picked up a set of these pickups to put into my FMT Jazz bass.
    All I can say about em is **WOW**
    They sound fantastic, warm, clear, punchy mids, deep clear lows, great jazz bass growl.
    I am just thrilled with them.

I highly recommend them if your considering a pickup upgrade on your Jazz bass.

Scott

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Funny you should mention that. I just ordered a set from Musician's Fiend (oops typo) about five minutes ago. They have them going for $79.99, which seems pretty good considering what I have seen them going for. Now I feel more confident in my purchase. :) I have a heavy-as-hell Essex I'll be dropping them into.

3. Crap, $79 is much less than what I paid...oh well, whats $20 for great tone.

I might have to get another set just because of that damn cheap price.

4. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I agree. I put them into my Jazz bass too. I seem to be able to get more growl with these pickups which is a definant plus.

5. What rig are you running this bass through now that you changed the pickups?

:confused: Treena

6. I'm running them through an Ampeg SVT350 head with an Ampeg SVT15 cab and an Avatar B210 cab.

Same rig I ran the bass with using the old pickups.

See Pic of rig.

7. Forgot the pic...damnit

8. What do they measure screw to screw?

Anyway, great rig!! I play alternately an Ampeg combo with 2x10 and an ancient Ampeg toob Head with a 2x15 cabinet depending on the size of the gig.

How is the surf these day's? I haven't been down San Clemente way in years. :cool:

9. I recently bought, (through ebay), a Fender Noel Redding Jazz. I love this bass! It's a replica of Noel's 65 jazz when he was playing with Hendrix. The bass sounds great but, I am considering replacing the vintage 60's pickups with the Fralin vintage J replacements. I have heard nothing but praise about them but unfortunately have no experience with them myself. Can anyone offer an opinion oe help? Thanks.
    Rich

10. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Musician's friend still has them for 80$. I'm seriously considering a set for my fretless warwick thumb bass. Anyone have some thoughts on this? My biggest fear is that they won't be a direct match and I really don't want to drill or cut anything away.

11. Thanks for the complements on the rig.

The weather and surf here is not bad at all right now...bit foggy in the morning and evening though.

SMASH,
    I don't know any of the people you mentioned...but then again I'm not around here much...just late in the evenings after i'm done working and playin gigs.
    Kind of a shame living a block away from a beach ya have no time to go to.