1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom Shop 60's Jazz Bass single coil pickup poles

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dickie, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Dickie

Dickie It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Central VA.
    Wondering if anyone has these Custom Shop 60's Jazz Bass single coil pickups in their jazz and has tapped the poles down a bit. I have a 2012 America Standard jazz body and the poles are really high. I was considering tapping them down just a tick to make them more comfortable when playing over the pickup. Has anyone done this?
    thanks

2. I have those pickups and felt like the poles were pretty high as well but instead of tapping them down I removed the plastic cover and put a shim inside of it so the poles didn't stick out so far. For the shim I used a 1/16" thick plastic sheet with holes punched in it for the poles to stick through.

3. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    how's the tone compared to the older stock USA pickups?

4. Dickie

Aug 24, 2006
    Central VA.
    They sound good to me. Honestly I haven't had an American Standard Jazz since the 90's so I can't really compare.

5. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    This here is definitely a better way to address the pole height.

6. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    That's exactly what I had done to my CS pups when they were put into my Squier. Works fine !

7. Dickie

Aug 24, 2006
    Central VA.
    I will give it a try.
    Thanks

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Yeah, you can't tap down the poles on the new, better pickups, because they're wound vintage-style, with the wire wrapped right on the magnets. Move either outside pole and you'll have a broken coil wire and a dead pickup!