1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass vs. Antiquity II

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Fender Custom Shop '60's Jazz Bass

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Seymour Duncan Antiquity II

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Other (state in post)

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hello,

I would match these pickups with an Audere. Which one is the most versatile? Everything from classic rock to funk and metal to alternative. I am also taking other opinions. I would put it in a Modulus Genesis VJ. I'm looking at the 1999 BP Jazz Shootout and it says the Antiquity has a 3.5 in clarity and the Fender has a 4. I want a pickup with clear lows, growly mids, and sparkling highs. I know that the Audere will help, too.

:help:

-Arpeggi

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I played a parts jazz bass at a local guitar place. I didn't think much of it because it was a cheap parts bass. However, I noticed it had Antiquity II's in it. WOW! I have played Jazz basses with almost every type of pickup in it. Old school, new, gritty, clear, cheap, expensive. I thought that Jazz with the Antiquity II's sounded better than almost any of them. With an Audere it would certainly be kick ass.

I was on hold for a nicer looking jazz bass (Cort GB99B), but that made it stick in my mind to get Antiquity II's whenever I pull the trigger on a jazz.

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I prefer the antiquity IIs by far. I had CS 60's in a vintage 75 jazz and i thought they sounded gutless compared to the stock pickups (which were microphonic) I've heard antiquity IIs in a mexican standard jazz, an otherwise original 71 jazz and a usa '75 reissue. all sound great. big, growling tone. I've got some on order for a bass of mine...

5. Gin

Gin

Apr 11, 2008
    Manitoba, Canada
    I'm planning on getting a CS 60s pickup for the bridge of my Fender Geddy Jazz Bass, but could I possibly get it in white?

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have CS 60s in a 61 with TI flats. I like them fine. A couple years back they were $99 a set at MF. These days they are charging boutique prices for them. I would look at Nordstrand, Fralin, Aero, and Antiquity IIs. They all have their fans. If the Nordie Js are anything like the Nordie P, I would go that way. Vintage with punch and clarity.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    One pickup that is rarely mentioned but will answer your requirements is the Bill Lawrence J45. A pair will cost $120 and are available only direct from Bill Lawrence. It'll cost a few bucks extra for shipping to you. Great pickups and not as high profile as the other brands because Lawrence doesn't advertise in all the glossy magazines. He just works in his small family operation and builds great pickups.

I've played on a few J type basses with the Lawrence J45. They are an excellent pickup. Definitely worth checking out. I'd buy them over all the other brands if I wanted a pickup with growly mids, clear lows and sparkling highs. They'll also get the most out of the strings you use and will work well with an active circuit. I'd certainly prefer them over the stock pickups in the Modulus.

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The duncans have a ton of bottom end, which should compliment the tight sound of the graphite neck well. The CS60s are quite bright and dry. Good in a vintage style bass, in the modulus, could be a problem.

9. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    dimarzio model j's, one word....amazing!!!!

10. Alfik

Alfik

May 25, 2008
    I checked both. Antiquity II has tons of bottom and can sounder muddy if you have excellent instrument. It treble side is focused around 2.5kHz. It can be unpleasant in for same of us. It is excellent pickup for alder bass because alder has peek around 4kHz area and usually need some help at bottom. CS is more alive sounding with good low mid presence full sounding but not muddy low end,clear aggressive and alive highs around 4kHz after checked a lot of pickups I decide that my 78 ash maple Fender Jazz need only them. But this bass is perfect unplugged... So if Your bass sounding good acoustically go for Fenders if you think that You need help in the bottom area go for Antiquity

Fabio_MIJ likes this.