1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender custom shop 60s thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 77stingray77, Dec 24, 2017.

1. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017
    what does everyone think of the custom shop 60s jazz pickups?

Im not cutting through the mix with cobalt strings and this pickup

are Delano a good replacement? Delano JMVC4 FE/M2 4 String Jazz Bass Pickup Set - Best Bass Gear

My main jazz has emg JX with marcus miller dunlops and they slice through no problem
    this jazz is a backup to that one and would prefer to keep it passive

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. da.cool.peter

da.cool.peter

Feb 9, 2008
    The Fender CS '60s Jazz Bass pickups used to be really good and cut through any mix back in the 90s to early 2000s. Then Fender screwed up and now they wind the bridge pu to neck specs and the neck pu to bridge specs. The neck should have 7.1k and the bridge should have 7.4k. But the set that I bought recently has neck 7.4k and bridge 7.1k, rersulting in a muddy neck and very thin bridge sound. Growl is gone, doesn't cut through, muddy sound compared to the sets from the 90s to early 2000.
    I went to Fender Corona, CA since I live close by and they were not interested in helping to report the problem to QA, they just barked me away. Maybe Fender does not have a QA dept?
    If your set does not cut through, you could have a similarly screwed up set. Take a multimeter and measure the DC resistance.
    I would be interested if anybody else has such screwed up PUs.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  3. Can't you just put the neck p/u in the bridge position, or is the pole spacing different?

4. da.cool.peter

da.cool.peter

Feb 9, 2008
    No, you cannot swap them, neck and bridge PU have different dimensions. Neck pu is shorter, bridge pu is longer.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    How did you determine this?

6. da.cool.peter

da.cool.peter

Feb 9, 2008
    Measured with a DMM (digital multi meter). The PU specs are from three sets from the late 90s and early 2000 that I own. These (correct) specs can also be found on the official Fender website.

7. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Ah so the ones you have are fubar but the intended spec is still the one listed.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I actually like the Custom shop 60s pickups.
    I always recommend Lindy Fralin for the truest Jazz bass tone.

I've heard people love the Dimarzio j pickup for punchiness

9. da.cool.peter

da.cool.peter

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes.

10. da.cool.peter

da.cool.peter

Feb 9, 2008
    Lesfunk, from what year are your CS60s and can you measure the DC resistance of yours?
    If the CS60s are not screwed up, but wound to the correct specs they are awesome. They growl, they cut through.
    If the specs are screwed up, they are muddy from the neck pu and plinky planky from the bridge pu and no growl, no cutting through, then they just suck.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  11. da.cool.peter

da.cool.peter

Feb 9, 2008
    And there is another thing about the Fender CS '60s Jazz Bass pickups, they should have flush mount pole pieces according to specs and the older sets that I have are just like that, but the new sets are not flush mount. Take a look at any Std Am Jazz Bass that has these PUs and you'll see that they are not flush mount. This also sucks.
    I don't understand how such a product can pass FQC (final quality check) and get approval from QA (quality assurance dept) to hit the market.
    The only explanation that I have for this is that Fender does not have a FQC nor QA dept. And they don't care. I went to Fender Corona in person and have reported this to Fender Consumer Relations and they just bark me away.

12. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    I love mine, brought my Jazz to life. I would give them my highest recommendation.

RumbleMan3 and Ace Of Bass like this.
  13. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well this is somewhat bothersome as I was looking into these for my jazz bass. So are we of the mindset that this could be an isolated incident or is this how they're rolling out all the time?

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i thought the custom shop pickups were pretty good, but compared to the alleva coppolo vintage voiced ones they were just ok and the AC pickups were only like 30 bucks more for a very accurate reproduction of the fender vintage tone handmade by a true perfectionist

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  15. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    I always thought mine nailed the ‘60s tone just fine...I generally keep my FCS basses stock...

16. bafonso

bafonso

Oct 17, 2007
    How reliable are those specs? I was told I have CS60s on my jazz bass when I bought it but there's no way for me to confirm except maybe measuring the resistance...

17. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    I'm curious in this... as I just bought these too. Overall, they sound incredible. If I have to nit pick, the bridge pickup lacks a bit of low end punch from what im expecting, but I'm thinking it could be the height that they are sitting at, and it's on a slight angle, with the D and G string side being the higher side, and E and A string side sitting a little low.

I'd be upset if this whole time my set could be even better though. But oh well...
    How can I check this resistance? Could my set be a good set or are they all turning out like this now?

18. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    My box that the pickups came in says neck 7.1k and bridge 7.4k

Is it still possible that they are wired differently though, like yours?

The thing is, it may not be worth finding out... because even if they are there is no way of fixing it without perhaps getting another set of pickups.

19. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia

What year is your set? It’s possible yours was also wired differently

20. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Despite the name, the CS60 set sounds modern to me, and were never open enough in the high end; not enough twang. They have more emphasis in the low mids. I actually prefer the Fender Originals. They have flush mounted poles and are half the price.