Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Custom Shop 64 NOS Jazz for Fender Jaco Signature Fretless plus $160

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Oct 15, 2003.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I've just taken delivery of a Fender Custom Shop NOS 64 Jazz Bass having previously sold my Fender Jaco Fretless Signature and I have paid an extra US $160 to do this.

Do you think I did the right thing?

2. gareth, if you own all these 1979 stingray, 1983 fender precision 1962 vintage reissue, 1983 fender precision 1957 vintage reissue,1992 fender jazz 1962 vintage reissue, 1999 fender jaco signature fretless,1983 rickenbacker 4003, 1997 fender roscoe beck 5, 1994 Ernie Ball musicman......then you tell us!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Treena

I am greedy I know and thanks for reminding me about my profile because its a little out of date and I've just updated it.

I really do like this NOS 64 jazz bass.

4. gareth, I don't think you're greedy. Heck I own more basses then I care to reviel. Truth is I'm a gear slut and I know it!:D

My point is with your experience on those previously mentioned basses, you would be far better at telling me how it compares to the others!

So you like it, what do you like about it compared to the fretless you traded. Did you play the fretless much?

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Treena

You're right of course. I guess I'm just happier with a fretted bass plus the Jaco really was untouched and I did'nt want to be the one to start dinging it.

The Jaco was very nice but I'm not a particularly fast player - the years have taught me that its often the notes that you leave out (that then highlight the notes left in) that create great music.

I've got a fretless Ernie Ball Stingray 5 and that to my mind suits my fretless style (such as it is) better and I can get that to emulate an unpright bass.

Plus it has an unlined board and I really did not like the Jaco's lined board (I know he pulled out the frets so lines would have been left.

I see from your profile that you've got two 67 fender basses (as well as the others you mention above not listed). How do these compare with the pre-CBS basses?

6. The jaco basses are nice but I would have done the same thing since it wasn't getting much use!

The Ernie Ball SR 5'er is a great bass, hey I use an ulined board myself. I have a "83 Fender P fretless, with a maple neck that I really love the tones I get.

I'm not much into the newer Fenders, thus the collection of Pre CBS basses I own.

I've purchased a few new basses, I feel fender has let their quality go for mass production. I have played 100's of basses and they feel loose.. Frets need redressing, finish is off, pickups do not line up with the strings, just little things that fender was once known for getting right!

BUT, if you look hard enough and take your time, you can find a great fender bass off the wall and it will still play like butter!

I think you purchased a great bass and IMHO, if you like how it feels and it plays well, it was a good decision on your part!

BTW, I should update my profile too!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It seems like you made a good choice. I've played a few Custom Shop 64's & they were top notch & a great deal considering the price of a real '64 in decent shape from a buyer you trust could cost about $5000+.

8. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Treena

Don't give up on newish Fender's but try and buy them used. Look at my profile and see all the Vintage Reissues I've got plus recently I got a JV Squire P Bass (made in 83 in Japan using US parts). These really are nice basses. Also I have a recent Roscoe Beck 5 and again this is really good.

My path to buying these basses was formed when 2/3 year ago I decided to get back into music and a dealer friend of mine showed me a number of 60's (not pre-CBS) p basses and an 83 US Vintage Reissue. I tried them all and the Reissue was definately the best bass. It could have been that 60's examples were just bad examples.

Do try the reissues ( 57 and 62 p bass and 62(Stackpot) jazz). I'd be interested to hear how you think they compare with your 67's

Are you in the San Fransisco bay area - I went windsurfing today and remember some years ago walking across Golden Gate bridge and watching the surfers below in ideal winds

9. gareth, you make some very valid points. I think my pre-CBS have spoiled me!

Here,s a sorta current list of my basses...... Fender 51' reissue MIJ P
    Fender Sting Bass
    Rickenbacker 61 model 4000
    Hofner 61 Beatle bass
    Fender 68 MIA Tele
    Fender 67 MIA Jazz
    Fender 67 MIA P
    Fender 73 Maple P
    Fender 82 MIA P Fretless
    Fender 88 MIJ Jazz special
    Fender 92 MIA 5'er
    Squier by Fender 92 5'er
    54' Kay Upright
    Guild acoustic-BC4E

Not a complete list but close enough. So I do own a few newer Fenders, but not like real new! I will keep looking!

BTW, I do live in SF but am currently in Oregon. I commute between the two states with music and my fathers failing health!

I never did any wind surfing but would love to learn, I do watch though!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Treena

Nice list of basses

How do you like the 51 p bass and Sting signature, which one do you prefer of the two?

11. Both basses are close in sound to the brilliant lows of a piano. Which is my kind of tone.

The Sting bass, I put noiseless pups, the Duncan replacement, and it's sweet, fat neck, but I really like the feel and sound.

I have the '51 reissue on loan to a friend in Portland Oregon, he's recording an album with it!

Both basses compare to my '61 Rick as far as tone goes. Clean, brilliant, low end. I also use different strings on both basses. The '51 have TI Jazz Flats and the sting has TI power series on it right now!

I do a lot of studio work and I have different basses to offer the producer different sounds.

Hope this make sense to you!

gareth, I spent many hours testing and playing each bass before I made my final purchase of each bass on that list!

Certain tones for different Genre’s of music.

What do you contribute your list of basses to?

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    As you can see I like fenders. When I was young I had a mustang and then a precision (they must have been 60's basses). Then I got rid of them when all those stupid slap bassists arrived - I never could do slap (all Mark King Level 42) mainly because it seemed to lack sould and I had no interest in it - and had Aria and Yamaha basses ( you know thru neck mutiple woods with natural finish) finishing up with a Yamaha BB1200 which I've still got and it is a good bass - it just has'nt got a distinctive tone which Fender's have.

It was because of the fashion for slap bassists that I gave up playing until i started again 2/3years ago - I hate those slappers - who'd you prefer to listen to Stanley Clarke and Mark King or Jaco and Pino Palidino? No contest, eh?

I'm with a gigging covers band at present and we average 1/2 gigs a week and because a low B is needed on some songs i've been using the Roscoe Beck 5 which I did'nt take to at first (because it seemed too new) but I get really nice comments about this bass and the pickups seem stronger that normal jazz pickups.

The rig I use is a all trace elliot but value ( no transistors for me) 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 and 400 watt head.

13. gareth, seems we have a common background!

I did learn to slap and pop, just because it was asked for by some producers and bands I have toured with! I rarely use this technique now!

I think to many new bassist look at this style as being the only one that makes them great! Heck, I'll take a groove player over a popper, slapper any day! Holding down the bottom is what bass is all about!

Trace Elliot, I almost purchased one in 1992 after a mishap with my GK800RB head. I may still purchase one in the future, they are great sounding amps!

How does the Roscoe Beck compare to the Fender Jazz 5 string in your opinion, is the B string tighter sounding?

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Treena

I have'nt tried other fender 5 strings, but the RB5 is a great bass

I played it last night at a gig with about 150 people and got some nice complements on the way it cuts through the mix

Come on, you were going to tell me about how the 51 and the sting compare with each other

15. gareth,

both are crafted in Japan. Mine Sting is the 2 tone sunburst. plays great. I have TI Jazz Flats on this one. I love the brillant clean thump.
    The Japanese have done an incredible job on this bass. The workmanship is superb.

It differs from the Sting model, there is no sting signature on the 12th fret, and the sting has a contoured body, The '51 is a flat slab of wood. Same color and both feel close as far as the neck goes.

I hope this helps, some!

[​IMG]
    Treena