1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Shop 66' jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Hi TB'ers,

In search of Fender CS making a true 66' jazz bass with binding and clay dots is hard to find! I can't find any info on ordering one with binding and dots. Only with binding and block inlay.

Does anyone own a custom shop 66' Jazz bass?

-Christian

2. deekay911

deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    I don't think the '66 Jazz had clay dots - they are pearloid.

3. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    Early '66 would have been binding/pearl dots

Late '66 were the first pearloid blocks.

4. Okay. Not clay dots but pearl dots

5. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    You can contact Fender about doing a "one-off" custom. They can do it, but be prepared to wait 8+ months to see it completed.

6. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    I know they've made them. There was a Shoreline Gold fretless one at Paul's Bass Matters here in Holland, IIRC. Great bass.

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    For what you'd have to pay the custom shop for a one off, you could probably buy an actual '66. That's what I did. I had to have it restored and I spent a little less than 3k.

8. [​IMG]

Even with the lollipop tuners (although they are made by hipshot, and have the ("ugly") trapezoid baseplate... It was a limited run of 100 instruments. For I know, I know that Bravewood (in the UK) does an amazing job on sixties F-basses, including binding and stuff*. Okay, it isn't a Fender, but it's a lot more friendly for the wallet ;)

*(and actually building from scratch, not messing around with allparts gear)

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Call Ben Lindsey he made me a 1966-Bound-Dot Jazz.

As good as my real 1966-Fender.

At a third of the price.

Ben and John Scott at Bluesman Vintage guitar are the way to go.

Better than fender Custom Shop.

10. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Yeah if it doesn't have to be a fender, I'd look into having TB's JohnK10 of kallasguitars build you one. He can do one arguably better than the fender custom shop.

11. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, I actually spoke to John about doing one for me and was left pretty satisfied with his estimate of pricing.
    Now it's just a matter of hoping the funds hurry up so it can be a reality.

My advice is to at least present him your ideas and see what he says.
    I'm sure you'd be happy in the end.

12. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    He restored my '66. Id love to buy a custom from him one day. Great guy, great builder, and a wealth of knowledge.

13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    That was certainly the impression I was left with.
    And honestly I was asking about a complete 1 off (well more a clone of my 62) so a 2 off custom, if you will. so my expectations of price were a bit more than his estimation. That's always a pleasant surprise.

14. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    WOW!!....I have never been attracted to the Jazz bass body style.....but holy Jesus on a Popsicle stick!!!...that PIC from Mr.Fingers is friggin awesome!!!!!! I GOTTA GET ME SOME OF THAT!!

15. But the JohnK doesn't have the period-correct veneer fretboard, and the spacing of the dots on the 12th fret is off (facedots as wel as sidedots)....

16. Does any know if the 66 models had ash or alder body?

17. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    All I know is that the 66-68 Jazz Basses had those lollipop tuners with the trapezoid backs. That is period correct.

18. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    i LOVE my Custom Shop 64 Relic.Ive never played a better finer instrument.

19. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Alder body.

Over the past 8 or so years, Fender Custom Shop has done the 66 dot/binding Jazz many times.