Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

/fender custom shop basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 4, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sorry if this topic has been covered before
    i usually am in the amos forum
    does anyone have experiance with the fender custom shops 4 string j basses? i assume they make nos, closet classic and relic much as they do for strats
    i played a custum shop 5 but i really dont like fender 5's
    im also not completely sold on the active electronics found on the deuxe fender basses.
    givin the inconsistenct nature of american standard j basses i was wondering if these are a big improvemnt or a lot of hype
    some custom shop strats and teles have turned out to be dogs
    thanks
    ivan

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think that the Fender Custom Shop is a great idea, in theory, but unfortunately I think it more of a terrific marketing ploy and less of a custom venue for players to have a hand in designing their own unique Fender instruments. I actually looked into having a jazz bass made many years ago (nothing "custom", really...just a candy apple red w/ matching headstock, fralin pickups, Hipshot hardware, oil on neck finish, and graphite bars in neck), and they refused to do the slight mods to their stock '64 model that I was asking for. An oil finish on the neck and graphite bars for stability are not what I'd call revolutionary, and Fender was actually doing this on other Fender basses, so it really wan't a stretch at all. There are a lot of other options if you want a hot-rodded jazz. I'n not convinced that what you get from the Custom Shop is a good value anyway. Too bad, 'cause it's a great idea.