1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FENDER CUSTOM SHOP BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mixnulty, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Mixnulty

Mixnulty

Jan 15, 2013
    Any one have pics of custom basses you have ordered? Is it worth the money? :confused: are there any differences between custom and regular MIA? thanks

2. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I've had mine just over a year now and I love playing the bass. I have no regrets.
    Is it worth the extra $$? Hard to say really. There are some really good production line basses out there by variety of different manufacturers that sell for alot less, but it's hard to put a dollar amount on how much I enjoy playing the bass. It is by far the best playing and sounding bass I've ever played.
    I asked pretty much the same question as you before I purchased mine. Here's one answer I got;

The thing with CS basses is the ratio of hits to misses. With a production line instrument 1 in 10 will be VERY ok and 1 in a 100 to sometimes 1 in 1000 will be totally remarkable. With CS basses it is like 1 in 1000 is a dud for some reason or another. So even buying sight unseen your chances of getting an outstanding instrument are 1000 to 1 or better.

Master Builders either do everything themselves or supervise what they don't do personally, such as the finish application. The MAIN things that matter to me is the wood, hardware and electronics selection processes which is each done personally by the builder. CS builders get the pick of all wood blanks each time a new shipment of blanks arrives. This is crucial. The hardware is either higher quality ordered specifically for the CS or is cherry picked by the master builder from regular production inventory when a new shipment comes in, just as they do with the wood blanks. As for the electronics, the values are DOUBLE CHECKED one at a time on all electronic components going into a CS instrument. Caps and pots can have up to a 10% or greater variance from stated value and work fine in regular production instruments, but CS parts are held to a tighter standard and each one checked out in advance which isn't done in regular production. Then the pickups are the icing on the cake being hand wound. More often than not pickup winding is either done by Abigail Yberra herself (she has been hand winding Fender pups since the late 1950's) and now she only winds CS pups. At the VERY least Ms. Yberra supervises the winding of practically all CS pickups. She is a treasure of experience and knowledge and everyone at Fender knows it.

The most select wood, the hand picked electronics components, choice hardware, and the chance of getting actual Yberra hand wound pickups are three things you will never get in any regular production Fender instrument.

Even taking the hand finishing and fitting of the master builder out of the equation you are getting something you frankly can not get any other way.

T-Bone Wolk (a bass hero of mine who died not too long ago) was surprised by the delivery of a CS recreation of his #1 P-Bass personally delivered by Fender personnel at an LA gig he was playing. He retired his original P-Bass that night and played the CS copy rest of his life, which it sadly turned out was only a very few months. He said it not only sounded better, but played better than his #1 that did all those Saturday Night Live tv shows and the Hall & Oates recordings including the lead bass riff on "Maneater."

This story keeps repeating itself. CS keeps making reproductions of classic vintage instruments for professionals as a backup and the professionals end up leaving their far more valuable originals at home or in some cases, in a vault.

Here's a few pics (first one is from the online store that I purchased from. They take better pics than me. It is the actual bass I own.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I have two. Wouldn't trade them for the world. The yellow one was team built, other was master built.

8CD1CE92-6FC5-4BBF-805F-7A954ED170F3-11073-00000A4445D7284D_zpsa726b836.gif

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Bass32,

That is a beautiful bass you have and your post is very informative when it comes to Fender Custom Shop basses.

Bones

5. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Bones. I appreciate it.

I ordered mine from an online store. They spec'd the basses out and had FCS make them. So it is actually a team built FCS bass. I didn't get the Abby pickups, but the SD Quarter Pounds are really nice. Powerful, clean sound and quiet.

I play it almost every day, practice at home, band rehearsals, gigs. Enjoy it each time I pull it out of the case. It's so easy to play and you can get a variety of playable sounds out of it.

6. I began collecting one of each Fender CS bass released in 2009 (except for the Pro series), up to 20 or 21 now. Wonderful instruments.

7. Mixnulty

Mixnulty

Jan 15, 2013
    Sweet Basses guys! This may be to personal of a question, but what are some of the price ranges with all the added personal specs? I really want to purchase one i'm just researching all the ups and downs :hyper:

8. David281189

David281189

Jun 25, 2012
    wooow that bass looks sooo awesome!! which jazz bass model is that? i looks like the custom classic model they discontinued in 2011 i believe.
    or can you still get one like yours? how much did you pay for that?
    it's sooo beautiful :hyper:

9. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio Supporting Member

That's a beauty.

I've been lusting over the Pino CS P-Bass. In my dreams! that things costs more than my upright.

joe

10. Since I love J's and P's, if I played a 4 string, I'd be playing a custom shop. The custom shop seems mostly focused on replicating some of the classic Fender builds of the past, and they seem to do it great. Played a Pino a while back, and it was simply stunning.

Since I play 5 strings, I chose to go with builders that are really into 5 string builds, like Alleva-Coppolo and Nordstrands. The examples of custom shop 5 strings I've seen are the more 'modern' type builds, and a couple didn't even use Fender pickups. Strange, but again, seems they are mostly about 4 strings.

Top notch to me, based on the couple I've played (a 60's style J and the Pino).

As posted above, some of the new Fender MIA executions are quite good, so like any boutique type expensive build, it costs a lot of money to get 'a little better'. If you have the money, that 'little bit better' can be worth every penny in the long run. Will it get you more gigs... nope!

11. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    It is a Custom Classic Jazz Special V. I ordered it from Sweetwater. They spec'd the bass out to FCS. It is basically the Custom Classic except they updated the electronics and neck. They also used a nitro finish.
    Besides personally ordering from a FCS authorized dealer, it's my understanding that you can only get these Custom Classic Specials from Sweetwater.
    If you ordered one yourself from a dealer, it's a Violin Burst nitro finish and the neck is a "AA" flamed maple with black peral inlays and black binding. You could spec the rest of the bass any way you want it.

The MSRP on mine was $5,650. Retail was $4,480. I paid $4,032. There are some that retail for $1000 less and some for alot more. Check out some of the online stores that sell FCS. You could probably find one that you would like or at least close to it and get an idea of the cost.

12. Mixnulty

Mixnulty

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for the help Bass32!

13. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    64j and a 59p.. Others come and go.. Not these two, phenomenal basses if you want a vintage vibe.

Beautifully made, beautifully finished
    The other thing with CS basses, lifetime warranty.

JB_64.jpg

pbc1.jpg

14. bass32, your bass is GORGEOUS. What wood is it? The grain doesn't look as pronounced as ash, but it's more pronounced than alder usually is.

thanks!

15. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    I had a CS 64 J a while back, it was great and at some point I plan to find another one of them. The play and sound as good as they look !

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I agree - that might be the nicest Fender 5er I've ever seen - what a beaut!!!

- georgestrings

17. funk7856

funk7856

Feb 22, 2012
    Atlanta

love the finish on that '64J.

here's my 64 & 59

IMG_0966.gif

GEDC1559_zpsb5d786c4.gif

18. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Aug 21, 2008
    Germany
    Endorsing Artist : Fodera Guitars , Harvest fine leather bags & straps
    Here my two best friends -

64' Master Built Dennis Galuszka JB (acctually I call it my 66' because I've added Blocks & Binding) - also the body is Ash. This Bass is a lifetime bass - I LOVE it since the first note 3,5 years ago

62' Team Built P - a great Bass too :)

8uxsjety.jpg

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Killer basses, mow!!!

- georgestrings

20. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    mr. wow, your surf green jazz is rivaled only by your home's exquisite baseboard molding!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021