1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Shop "Closet Classic" vs. NOS neck feel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NeckPickup, Jul 16, 2014.

1. NeckPickup

NeckPickup Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Boca Raton, FL
    A while back I sold my NOS Custom Shop P, where a big issue was that the lacquer on the back of the neck was too tacky for my taste. I realize I could have treated it in one way or another, but did not want to mess with the bass as I prefer to leave my instruments unmodified for whatever reasons. Anyway, I see Closet Classic for sale that I am drooling over, and was wondering whether that kind of mild aging removes the tackiness from the neck, even to some degree? I don't like relic'ed basses, I'd rather do the damage myself, but the Closet Classic seems like a reasonable compromise if it addresses the feel of the neck at all. I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts on this. Thanks.

2. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    You can always scotchbrite the back of the neck. It is pretty hard to mess up.

3. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    I've thought about using the scotchbrite myself. Like you I'm not a fan of the lacquer neck finishes either. My select had a very thin coat of satin lacquer, most of which I've rubbed off myself after many hours of play. It's my only complaint about about the select so far. I totally prefer the slick satin poly neck's used on most newer models these days. Now a lacquer body that will relic itself naturally, that's a clear win.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Scotchbrite is only temporary and glosses back up. I like to remove the neck finish and apply tung oil followed with some wax.

The only Fender I know that comes with a raw feel neck is the Jaco relic, I am sure some other relics do as well. I cannot think of any raw feel production bass neck from Fender.

5. NeckPickup

NeckPickup Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Boca Raton, FL
    Isn't the Pino P Bass pretty much devoid of lacquer on the neck?

But does anyone have first-hand experience with a Closet Classic vs. NOS Custom Shop and if so, was the Closet Classic less tacky? I actually like poly neck gloss finishes, as on my old G&L, but the nitro is great only after a long break-in period, depending on how much you play it.

Interesting responses so far however, thanks.