1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom Shop costs..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Apr 26, 2009.

1. I would like to have a custom Jaguar bass, but I'm not handy enough to do it myself.

I'd like the Jag to be pretty much stock, except for a few changes:
    Darkstar Pickups
    Maple Fingerboard w/block
    Graffiti Yellow paint job w/ a black pickguard.

Would this be impossible to do? What could I expect to pay for this? Could I get this done 3rd party cheaper?

2. If you order that via the Custom Shop - the bill would be around the $6,000 mark.

have you considered buying a Jaguar bass yourself, and having the changes done afterwards?

3. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Maybe even have a custom body made for you, and go from there, could be a lot cheaper. I don't know if you can get the same control set up but I'm sure you could buy stuff and get it close all for maybe $2500 if you shop around with the other options you mentioned.

4. I was considering just buying a Jag, but didn't know if it'd be cheaper to just get it custom built... Now it's looking a bit cheaper to get it after market.

Are there any mail-order services or something similar that would do this for me?

5. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    If you're custom ordering from the FCS, it doesn't matter who you go through, it's going to cost an arm and a leg. And I think you need to contact a Fender Custom Shop dealer that will put you into contact with FCS staff. You can't just call the Custom Shop and place an order.

6. It's probably cheaper if I just DIY it.

So far I'm thinking my option is to get a used Geddy ($800) and a used Jag ($700), swap the necks out...

Paint jobs are looking to be about $200-$300

Custom pickguard (for the darkstars) $40-80

Pickups $70-$120

now I just need to find somebody to make the pickups fit.

7. Rather than spending $1500 for two basses and then having to rout one of them, why not check out USACG, Warmoth or the like and buy a body and neck with a Darkstar rout?

8. I'd go for something like Warmoth if I were you, it'd be cheaper, and its not too hard to screw things together.

9. Yea... but I'm looking for the Jag look and vibe. How could I get that out of a warmoth?

10. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    youre not far from Bass Central. You could give them a call and see what they can do. I recommend asking for GrassHopper.

Or..does rondo make 2 basses that would have all the parts you need?

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjmb62car.html

the only problem with that is its red, and youd have to route for pups. Or you can get a maple neck with black blocks for $60 from them too.

11. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    If making it yourself isn't your thing, give Michael Dolan a call.

http://www.dolanguitars.com/

He'll build you anything you want. It'll probably run you around $1500. You'll get it exactly how you want it, and it will be made as well as any maker out there.