1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Shop Dennis Dunaway Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreenAlsatian, Jun 4, 2011.

1. GreenAlsatian

GreenAlsatian

Jul 24, 2008
    Old Blighty
    Someone posted this over on Basschat and I thought it might be of interest here, too. Nice to see Dennis getting some recognition!

I've always loved Dennis' playing and he came up with some fantastic lines on the early Alice Cooper band albums. I used to learn and play along with his basslines on Killer, School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies when I first started playing in 1989.

I think the bass is ace, but I can't imagine anyone but Dennis wielding this one though!

Attached Files:

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Dennis is a great bass player, grossly neglected imo by many who delve into the history of great rock bass players. Now that Fender has done a J-Bass for Dennis, can we expect Gibson to release a Dennis Dunaway signature EBO bass, patterned after the one he used on the first couple of Alice Cooper albums and named 'The Frog'?

3. GreenAlsatian

GreenAlsatian

Jul 24, 2008
    Old Blighty
    Ha ha! I said the same thing on Basschat!

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I saw DD Playing the original on the Billion Dollar Babies tour. I remember it well!!!

5. Haha, more silly signature models from Fender. Oh, Fender, you so silly.

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    That is all kinds a fugly and with the moniker of Billion Dollar Jazz Bass I am sure it is aptly named.

7. Wow!!! Man, finally some props to Mr. Dunaway this unsung bassist. I really hope they could make a more affordable version of this one. I still remember watching the No more mr.nice guy music video and thinking, that is an awesome bass! It is really interesting to actually see that that the p pickup is more closely to the neck than on the usual p-j configuration.

The green gibson also looked awesome but you could tell it wouldnt last http://graphics.ink19.com/issues/may2004/dunawayFrogBass.jpeg

8. Jerry Callo

Jerry Callo Banned

May 23, 2011
    Take one American standard bass for $1000

Add "custom shop" title

Add a silly design

Add an autograph

Depend on the publics adoration of some celebrity

...and you get a $6000 signature bass.

9. dunaway was pretty awesome. tons of personality in those bass tracks. they were raunchy and randomly out of tune (on purpose i'm sure) and it fit the whole alice cooper aesthetic very well. it just sounded like some kind of sicko must be playing those bass parts.

10. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I was lucky enough to catch Dennis & Neal Smith playing with a guy from Blue Oyster Cult in Cherry Hill, NJ at a Chiller Theater convention about 5 years ago or so. D.D. was still rockin a Jbass and they sounded incredible.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    +1

I'd much rather see a Faye Dunaway signature bass. :) :D

12. What would be nice is for Fender to do a faithful version of Duck Dunn's 57/58 Precision,as it looks now maybe.

13. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Sorry, that's just hurtin'. What next from Fender, the 'Mel Schacher'? 'Stu Cook'? I love these players but this is creepy.

14. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    Is it me or is Fender tossing out a bunch of sig models as of late? I saw a thread on Adam Clayton`s sig bass and a tele custom shop bass on this board too,all in the past week. Does Fender always release a group of signature/custom basses this closely together or is this a fluke?

15. Gross , not impressed.

16. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    If the shiny bits fall off does it loose value?

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    your shiny bits, or the bass's? ;)

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't buy it even if it had five strings, but I like it.

Dennis Dunaway was incredible and deserves the props. How about a Glenn Cornick sig next?

19. I love Fenders - but now I gotta draw a line in the sand.

20. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Fender Custom Shop and the Franklin Mint announce the new 'WC' Signature Royal Wedding Bass.