Fender Custom Shop Jazz Basses: 1960 vs. 1964 reissue differences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theRocco, Nov 1, 2017.

1. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    I'm interested in getting either a Fender Custom Shop '64 Jazz Bass or the 1960 Journeyman Relic. (To confuse things further, I think I saw maybe a '62 Custom Shop Jazz Bass reissue?)

I know the 1960 has the Two-Knob Stacked Volume/Tone setup and the 1964 has the 3 Knob set up.

What other specs differences between these models?

I currently own a newer Road Worn 60s Jazz Bass, Sunburst with Rosewood Fretboard (not Pau Ferro) and really like the neck size (front to back), shape, vintage frets, radius, etc. so I wonder which of the Custom Shop Jazz Basses are similar to it.

Also, they call the Sunburst on the RW 60s Jazz a "Three-Tone Sunburst" but I've seen other sunbursts called "Three-Color Sunburst". I think I'm seeing more of the Red in the Three-Color than the Three-Tone, and the Three-Tone more faded looking to me as well (even Relic and Non-Relic Sunbursts). Is there a difference or am I seeing things?

2. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    The past 1960 Journeyman Relic will feature:
    1. Slab-board rosewood board.
    2. Stack pots and ground stripe.
    3. 1960/1961 Jazz Bass decal.
    A 1964 will feature:
    1. Round-laminated rosewood board.
    2. VVT controls, no ground stripe.
    3. 1962/1964 Jazz Bass decal.
    The neck shapes are identical as far as I know (both have the '60 Jazz Bass U-Shape, 7.25" radius, vintage-style frets). I don't know about the pickups, because they started to feature handwound ones since 2015 I think, but chances are to be pretty close if not the same.

The current 1962 Journeyman Relic will feature:
    1. Round-laminated rosewood board.
    2. VVT controls and ground stripe.
    3. 1962/1964 Jazz Bass decal.
    4. 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets.
    Do you intend to custom-order one or to grab one off the shelf? The above specs are what you are about to encounter to each year's "standard" CS offerings. All of these models will be close to your RW, but the current 1962 will have a flatter radius and bigger frets. If you need any further help on specs/ordering, I will be glad to help. :)

About the sunburst: the three-color actually has three separate colors (yellow, red, black); the three-tone seems to be more of a gradual change from black to brown/orange. I am fond of the three-color, as I like the yellow and red to be alive and striking.

I custom-ordered my '64 after I saw this video featuring a '60 in Candy Apple Red. :)

Mastermold likes this.
  3. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    Thanks for your helpful information! (And, Congrats on your beautiful CAR Bass!)

I was kinda leaning toward the '64 CS but wanted to understand the differences better if one of the others popped up. Now I see that the '62 replaces the older version 1960 Journeyman with some additional changes to the specs.

4. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Unless you’re set on having a relic’d bass, I would go with the American Vintage Series ‘64 Jazz over the CS ‘64 and save about a thousand dollars+ for basically the same exact bass... except the ‘64 AV has even better pickups in it than the CS IMO. I’ve actually owned a few of each (I buy/sell a lot of gear), and that’s my honest opinion. Even the fretwork on the AVs is normally just as excellent as the CS.

5. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    It is true that the NAV series are wonderful basses.
    I tried both before deciding on the CS - I liked the CS better in the end, it felt more solid. I also changed the pickups in mine because I wanted something more unique; nothing wrong with the stock ones, though. I would like to hear the handwound ones that CS now offers.

Another plus on the CS is custom-ordering. I got exactly what I wanted.

But, again, the NAVs are really-really nice.

My pleasure to help. Thank you for your kind words. She is truly lovely. :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  6. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    I plan on picking one up off the shelf rather than custom ordering. Right time right place kind of hoping a light one will turn up either local or from a online source I trust for in-hand description.

Are the AV flat sawn necks or quarter sawn like the CS? Not that it would be a deal breaker if a nice one turns up but want to learn.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    AV necks are flat sawn, at least all the ones I owned. CS as you say quarter sawn. IMO the CS is worth the extra bucks, I didn't have much luck with the AVs as the necks used to take too long to settle for my liking and seemed rather sensitive to small temperature variations - great tone though. Fender may well have sorted this issue as the last one I owned was ten plus years ago. I have a CS 64 relic currently which is my main squeeze and is rock solid.

Midak likes this.
  8. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Yes, NAV necks are flatsawn while CS necks are quartersawn.
    Here is a yesterday's CS custom-order NBD, have a look. :) Having all the specs you like, in your favorite color-combo, is worth the waiting time in my opinion. :thumbsup:

9. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
  10. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    No plans to purchase a Custom Shop bass at this time, but it's on my wish list! Turns out, I'm really happy with my Mexican Road Worn Jazz and a Precision--but curious whether the CS basses would be so far above. I do own several CS Fender 6-string guitars and won't ever be going back to standard models so it's probably a dangerously delightful upgrade!

11. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    It is. :)

theRocco likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022