1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom Shop NOS 59' P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianh, May 9, 2006.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Anybody have experience with the Fender Custom shop 59' p bass?

I guess it is completely old school...pickups and all. I've actually never played one...how would it compare to a modern P-bass. Would it hold up to a Sadowsky, Valenti, Mike lull, Avella-Copoallo?

The list is apparently $3300 (!!!), but I found a used one with a few minor finish problems for about $1300.

What do you think?

2. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    I really like them. $3300 seems high for a list price on those. I see the list being $3000 for a NOS and $3500 for a relic one with street price being a lot lower. I would totally go for one at $1300. I haven't played p-basses by any of the companies you named, but I thought it held up well against a Lakland Glaub and I'm a huge Lakland fan.

3. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    I guess you are talking about the one on eBay. It depends on how bad that color mismatch is, but I think it might be a good deal.

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Ihave had several Custom Shops. Buy that.

5. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I own a sunburst 59 CS P Bass, and it's great. The seller on the ebay bass is a stand-up guy, and that's a real deal. Go for it.

6. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
  7. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Whats the website for the fender custom shop

8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Personaly, I'd have Nino build me one. The Fender is a good price but I'd buy from Nino.

9. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC

why? just curious

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I know Nino, have talked to him about building me a bass and I know friends who say he does GREAT work.
    I could order exactly what I wanted.
    The bass won't have any finish problems.
    I' dbuy a Valenti before I bought a Lull. LOL

11. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Flip side of that is resale value. You can likely resell the CS P if it's not what you want, and you won't lose money on it. The Valenti may be a great bass, but if you buy new and end up reselling, you'll take a hit. If $$ are an issue, it's something to consider.

12. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Personally (having just made the same choice)....I'd go for a Valenti. I just got a Valenti PJ5, and it simply smokes. The attention to detail is every bit as good as the Fender CS basses (actually better than ANY CS I've seen or played), and, the ability to customize w/Nordies, plus the better pre and Hipshot hardware (IMHO), it just adds up to a great bass at a great price.

13. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd say go for it, man. I've played a few CS Fenders, and they all rocked.

14. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd go with the Fender. A great old school P-bass never goes out of style. No reason you couldn't have that bass forever, even as the rest of your closet sees other basses come and go.

If you buy a more modern bass you'll eventually decide some other modern bass would be better and swap.

15. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I am madly in love with a relic version of that same bass. She plays like a dream and sounds fantastic. Unfortunately I need another P-bass like I need a hole in my head.

The Link

[​IMG]

16. Daffy Funk

Daffy Funk

Nov 10, 2005
    I've played a couple of Hi End P basses,and the Fender
    custom shop P bass was the best one I tried(so far).
    If you like the colour and its what you want go for it;
    if not custom order to your specs or wait till you find
    what you want.

17. I have to ask, were you the one who bought it Brianh? Because someone did.

18. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    nope, i missed it! i was going to wait until the last minute and pick it up, but i guess that was a bad idea. I guess I'll be calling Valenti....which certainly is not a step down!

19. Padams4

Padams4

Mar 13, 2006
    I picked it up, looked like a good price. I'm a Sadowsky player but wanted a nice P and the Sadowsky P's were just too steep.

PA

20. Yep, going by your user name you sure did. :)

Be sure to let us know how it is once you receive it.