Fender Custom shop or Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Which would you rather have? I can't afford either at this time but I can dream. I love the looks of the Reggie Hamilton 5. Is there a difference in quaility and tone between the two?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd rahter have a Sadowsky, which is why I own 2 & have one on order. ;)

I've played alot of really nice Fenders but I';ve also played alot of not so nice Fenders. I've yet to play a Sadowsky that was anything but amazing.
  3. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    How does one get in contact with Fender custom shop? E-mail address please?
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    From what i've read, you go to a fender master dealer/dealer & then if you want a one off e.g. master hand built you go through a dealer still and if you want one of the custom shop line of instruments you just order one. check www.fender.com for a better explanation.
  5. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    A relatively cheap and somewhat easy mod you could do is:

1) Buy MIM Fender Jazz V (or equivilent)
    2) Take off pickguard and remove neck pickup
    3) Buy 5-string P pickup
    4) Route body for P pickup at neck
    5) Buy a Jazz V pickguard custom cut for a P pickup, or not cut at all and cut yourself
    6) Rewire
    7) Enjoy

It'd take a good amount of time to do, but its far from impossible. I'm considering doing it to a 4 string (which would be easier) and getting a one-piece pickguard like the Hoppus bass (because a one-piece guard would look cool, not cuz I like Hoppus). It'd probably cost under $500 to do either.
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sadowsky is the way to go. If you have a few low dollar pieces, sell them and put your $ together for one of Roger's basses. One is all you'll need, although you'll still want more:D

7. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Warmoth? if your worried about $ that is..

8. THAT'S a no brainer.

9. I have 2 Sadowskys, a Fodera and one Fender Custom Shop.

I love 'em all, but the Sadowskys are the best.
  10. Sadowsky.

I've bought 4 and a 5th is in construction.
  11. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Thanks for the input. I really want a Sadowsky Maybe one day I'll give in and buy one.
  12. Check Roger's site for pre-owned Sadowsky basses and guitars. Also, Ebay if you know your stuff.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For a Jazz-style bass, Sadowsky. However Roger says he has no plans to offer a 5-string P-bass, and as Fender has a Precision V production model I'm guessing their Custom Shop would build me a passive Precision V. So depending on what you want, Fender CS might be the way to go.
  14. Thats what I did with my Essex Jazz. It took me all of thirty minutes to route, sand, drill and install the pups, and rewire it all. I still need to order the pickguard, but it sounds awesome. Since I already had the spare P pick up (an EMG Select) I've really only spent the $150 it cost for the bass. I expect the pickguard will run about an other $25.
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Ive only played one Sadowsky in my lifetime and a bunch of Fenders. IMO of the two, Id go with the custom shop Fender. I was'nt all that impressed with the Sadowsky that I played that day, and to me it reminded me of a Fender. The tone was a bit better than Fender, but if you're going to go the custom shop route then you can have any pickup and electronics combination you choose and can make it sound even better than a Sadowsky IMO.
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I used to think the same thing until I took a chance and actually bought a Sadowsky. The fretwork is the best, the tone is outrageous and they are light and easy to play. Do a couple gigs with both and then it's easy to make a choice:)

17. Considering the cost of each, I'd say spend a little bit more and get a Sadowsky.

But it also depends on whether or not you ar going to get a custom to your specs. A customized Sadowsky will cost more than the ones in his shop I assume. I really want a custom Sadowsky, but I wouldn't pass on the opportunity for a custom Fender either.