Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Custom Shop Prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, May 21, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Guys,
    does anyone know about how much a Fender Custom Shop bass would run. I don't want anything really fancy, just a P bass body w/ P pickups and a Jazz neck w/ a Surf green finish. I'm just trying to decide if it would cheaper to get a bass from the custom shop or refinish my old Epiphone P-bass copy and put a new warmoth jazz neck on it. Any knowledge on the custom shop prices would be appreciated.

Dirk

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Got $4000?

I'd look at Warmoth if I were you.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I think your a little high on that price Angus. For what he's asking I think $2000 would be a closer figure. Of course the Epi/Warmoth is still gonna be cheaper but it's worlds apart from a Custom Shop Fender.

If you want to know *exactly* what it would cost, pay a visit to a Fender custom shop dealer. You can locate them on Fender's website.

www.fender.com

4. you could just get a Fender P bass special ¥mim¤, and strip the pain, and fill in the J hole when you take off the paint© sand out the new block of wood in the J hole, and get a new pick gaurd ¥unless you like the gold one¤, paint your bass surf green, and there you have it© A p bass with a J neck©

Or©©© you could buy an MIA P and MIA J, swap the necks, and get the P body, j neck one refinished, and you'd have two basses, no 12 month wait, and probly still save some money©

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Expect to pay at least $3500 with a wait of 12-18 months.

6. i forgot to add, there are three different types of custom shop guitars© Team built, stock built, and master built© Stock built ¥i beleive thats the name of it¤ is basicly like the RI series© The Relic series is "Stock team built", same as closet clasic, and also NOS© CustomTeam built, This is the one that your bass will fall into© Its basicly for a standard model, but with somethign different, such as a highly flamed maple neck, different fret wire, different pickups, and different neck radius© Master built is made by one "master" builder© These are the ones that have the crazy designs, and ideas that people have come up for the fender custome shop to build© These also cost the most, and take the longest to make©

If you do chose to go down the custom shop road, i suggest that you have some more add ones to make it more "custome" such as a highly flamed maple neck, ¥they look exellent¤, be specific on what kind of pu's, bridge, electronics, and tuners© Dont pay a custome shop price for a standard bass©

I still recomend that you go with two American Series basses, one p and one j, and just swap necks, and then have one refinished by a professional©

7. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Fender sell complete neck for only 400.00$ (if my memory serve me well)

8. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Hey Muttluk,

æ Your % posts ^ are (* hard § to { read $ with ¿
    all â those Ä stupid » symbols º after - every ± word.

:)