Fender Custom Shop Prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, May 21, 2001.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    does anyone know about how much a Fender Custom Shop bass would run. I don't want anything really fancy, just a P bass body w/ P pickups and a Jazz neck w/ a Surf green finish. I'm just trying to decide if it would cheaper to get a bass from the custom shop or refinish my old Epiphone P-bass copy and put a new warmoth jazz neck on it. Any knowledge on the custom shop prices would be appreciated.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Got $4000?

I'd look at Warmoth if I were you.
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I think your a little high on that price Angus. For what he's asking I think $2000 would be a closer figure. Of course the Epi/Warmoth is still gonna be cheaper but it's worlds apart from a Custom Shop Fender.

If you want to know *exactly* what it would cost, pay a visit to a Fender custom shop dealer. You can locate them on Fender's website.

4. you could just get a Fender P bass special ¥mim¤, and strip the pain, and fill in the J hole when you take off the paint© sand out the new block of wood in the J hole, and get a new pick gaurd ¥unless you like the gold one¤, paint your bass surf green, and there you have it© A p bass with a J neck©

Or©©© you could buy an MIA P and MIA J, swap the necks, and get the P body, j neck one refinished, and you'd have two basses, no 12 month wait, and probly still save some money©
  5. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Expect to pay at least $3500 with a wait of 12-18 months.
  6. i forgot to add, there are three different types of custom shop guitars© Team built, stock built, and master built© Stock built ¥i beleive thats the name of it¤ is basicly like the RI series© The Relic series is "Stock team built", same as closet clasic, and also NOS© CustomTeam built, This is the one that your bass will fall into© Its basicly for a standard model, but with somethign different, such as a highly flamed maple neck, different fret wire, different pickups, and different neck radius© Master built is made by one "master" builder© These are the ones that have the crazy designs, and ideas that people have come up for the fender custome shop to build© These also cost the most, and take the longest to make©

If you do chose to go down the custom shop road, i suggest that you have some more add ones to make it more "custome" such as a highly flamed maple neck, ¥they look exellent¤, be specific on what kind of pu's, bridge, electronics, and tuners© Dont pay a custome shop price for a standard bass©

I still recomend that you go with two American Series basses, one p and one j, and just swap necks, and then have one refinished by a professional©
  7. Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Fender sell complete neck for only 400.00$ (if my memory serve me well)

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Hey Muttluk,

æ Your % posts ^ are (* hard § to { read $ with ¿
    all â those Ä stupid » symbols º after - every ± word.