1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Shop retired basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deaky, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Hi

Does anyone know if its possible to order a bass that's a retired model from the custom shop?

Cheers

D

2. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    My friend tried this with one of their guitars and they said no, but they could get really close. The only difference was that it did not have the name on it. Also, the base starting price was alot...can't remember exact price. He ended up paying quite a bit in the end but he was happy nonetheless.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    In essence yes. But instead of their 'production line' CS models which is typically a team built price range, it then becomes a master built at the master built price range (more $).

4. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    They pop up in the classifieds on here once in a while for good deals. Otherwise ebay, CL, etc.. I would personally go with a used one over a custom order from the Fender CS. For the kind of money the CS charges for masterbuilts, you can often find the real vintage bass of that year for close to the same price! I about fell over when I saw the price of a CS '66 Charcoal Frost masterbuilt Jazz on ebay. I have a real Charcoal Frost '66 (identical to the masterbuilt CS) and I didn't pay that much more for the real thing.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021