1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Shop vs. [[Insert Maker Here]]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patton63, Oct 22, 2009.

1. One of the criticisms of Fender and other production-grade companies is the lack of consistency and high standards from bass to bass. In turn, that is routinely one of the things for which basses from Sadowsky, Nash, Valenti, etc. are praised.

So, not having experience with any of these instruments (but strongly considering acquiring one), how do the Fender Custom Shop basses compare to the "Fender on steroids" basses put out by the other companies mentioned (and any other maker that I may have omitted)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Fender CS basses, (that I've played), were all exceptional instruments. Aside from a few Laklands, I haven't played any other custon Fender type basses, but they sure get alot of love around here. What I do know, is compared to a regular American Fender, the CS basses are more than a cut above.

3. me i have a custom shop fender jazz bass, and it's so great !!!!!!!! if you want to have the sound, it's the real bass to have. I had other jazz bass, but this one is perfect ! Compare to the other jazz bass look alike of quality, it's even better, cause you're always sure to have the real fender sound.

4. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Fender CS is as good as any other comperable bass on the market. Build quality is excellent, sound and playablility are killer. I have a CS Jazz 5'er and it's one of my favorite basses that I've ever owned.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I decided to go with Sadowsky, and owned a Lull prior to that. I have never owned a Fender CS, but same as RickenBoogie, the ones I've tried have been exceptional.

My observations: the Lull was a fabulous bass, but string spacing at the bridge was just a smidge tight for me, and the neck profile just a bit too slim. It also had a 35" scale, which to my ears imparts a slightly different timbre than 34": "tighter", more modern.

Sadowsky basses are much more comfy to my hands, and at 34", have a more traditional timbre than the Lull. That said, Sadowskys have that somewhat-modern cut-thru-the-mix magic even in passive mode.

The Fender CS basses I've played have had the most authentic Fender vibe... not surprisingly!

I've less experience with Lakland and Valenti, but quality is also superb from what I've seen.

Yes, the differences are all rather subtle in the grand scheme of things. It's all about going with the choice that your hands and ears are most comfortable with. If cost is a concern, Valenti stands out.

6. The Custom Shop basses I've seen and tried were EXPENSIVE. If you don't care about having the Fender name on the headstock a Sadowsky Metro (just as an example) I feel is a much better value.

7. If money is no object then Fender CS is the way to go if you want a Fender. I only own one CS which is a 59 P-bass reissue. The fit and finish are better than standard Fender production basses I've played and the tone and feel are fantastic. But having said that, I've got two AV reissues (a 57 P and 62 J) that are nearly as nice and cost half as much.

8. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    My only experience outside of the Fender CS, apples to apples, is with the US Bob Glaub I used to own. Super nice bass, but in no way (to me) better than my two CS Ps. I personally feel better about having the Fender name on the headstock of a P-bass too. YMMV.

9. Interesting reading this as I've been looking at Lakland Bob Glaub P-basses of late .... maybe I shouldn't be .... :ninja:

10. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    There's a lot to like there. I wouldn't try to steer anyone away from them.

11. BOTTOMBOOMER

BOTTOMBOOMER

Nov 10, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I bought a Fender MIA Standard P bass in 2008. I had not picked up a P in decades and was shocked at how well made and playable it was. The old P's felt like a Louisville slugger sawed in half. This felt like the favorite neck I own, a '97 Carvin LB-70, only a little wider.

That was so positive an experience that a year later I bought a CS '64 Relic. Wow!::D I started in 1968 with a brand new Fender Jazz (cost $269, wish I had that one back!) and this felt just like it. I had forgotten how sweet and focused the Jazz sound is. Wonderfully put together instrument, and even though some thought I was crazy to get the relic, I love it. It plays like a dream. Sure, it's kind of expensive, but I can't walk by it without picking it up and playing it.:bassist: I play it every day and isn't that the best testiment to a musical investment?:cool:

If you can afford one, buy it!;)