Fender Custom Shop vs Sadowsky Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ras1983, Dec 19, 2005.

1. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi everyone, i was looking to get a new bass around mid next year. I would prefer a jazz type bass (i have a crappy humbucker now, but my experience with j basses was pretty darn good).

In my neck of the woods, fender custom shop RI's are very similiar in price to sadowsky metro UV70 basses(around $AUS3800). So i just want to know how they compare...

i've never played a sadowsky, but i have heard them. they sound beautiful, but so do the custom shop fenders.

thanks for your help. :)

EDIT: I play all styles, whether it be jazz, gangster rap, old school rock or at church, and i have a GK 1001RBII through a 1x15 Labsystem.
  2. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    dude, just type in the search box "fender vs sadowsky" and you will get all questions answered. this topic seems to pop up once a month.
  3. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i did, but i am specifically wanting to compare the custom shop fenders, not FMT or MIA. But thanks anyway.
  4. hmm.. what custom shop ? custom classic or are you gonna have a custom one made ?
  5. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
  6. if you like the sadowsky metro then I think you should get one of these :D

7. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Those classic fenders sure look interesting...
  8. they're fenders pride and joy :)

they make it in transparent blue or something it's so beautiful.. I want one now :O
  9. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    But the 'dowskys still seem more tempting. maybe i should just trust my gut instinct and get the uv70.
  10. yeah problaby.. it's up to you what you want :)
  11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I personally would go Custom Shop, but if your gut's saying Sad, go Sad.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, both are great basses and you will most likely be happy with either.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've played both kinds and I like them both a lot. But those Fender 62 reissues sure fill me with a warm feeling of chocolaty goodness inside.

Having said that, if you buy your bass based on the opinions of people on Talkbass, you are crazy. We're not you, nor does everyone on here have good taste in basses. I do, but these other guys...sheesh! What are they thinking?!? Make up your own mind.
  15. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    They are very different animals sound wise, regarding playability and build quality my experience would wager the Sadowsky would be better. But I'd let whatever turns you on tonally be the deciding factor.
  16. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Looking at the previous gear listed in your signature I doubt that you would notice a significant difference between either other than aesthetically and, either way, they are light years apart from the gear you currently own.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ras, the most important question is do you want a more modern tone, or do you want the classic Fender sound? If you want the Fender sound, get a Custom Shop Fender. If you want a more modern tone, get a Sadowsky. It seems that all the Sadowsky owners say that a Sadowsky sounds slightly different from a Fender, so the sound you want should be your biggest consideration. Quality wise, I think these basses whould be pretty even. If you really like the vintage vibe, you might want to check out Lakland, either USA or Skyline too. :)
    TMARK likes this.
  18. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Agreed on the Lakland.

I had a Custom Fender and traded it on a Lakland 55-02. I didn't care for the Fender's floppy 'B.'
  19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I love the Fender custom shop 64, it definitely gives off the classic R & B "motown type" vibe (yes I know Jamison used a P but Carol Kaye and Bob Babbit used J's). But I own two Sadowsky's and they are far more versatile then the Fender, You can almost cop the Fender vibe but they do the other stuff too. With a flick of my blend knob I can go from rear pu J growl to a great slap sound to a fat rock/R & B foundation sound. If you get a Metro with the VTC you have a very versatile bass, their is not a "bad tone" lurking inside one of those things. Unless modern slap or Metal is your thing i recommend Roger's Brite Nickle strings. The Fenders are great but, I've even seen some inconsistent stuff come out of the custom shop, much less the factory! Theirs only one thing about buying a Sadowsky, you can't have "just one"! :D
  20. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Both great basses. Personally, I'd get the Sadowsky.