Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 3, 2004.

1. how much does fender custom shop charge for a custom bass? lets say its an american jazz V string and i want them to put on a whammy bar and paint it a new color, or something like that.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    $2500+ at the very least.

It'd be easier and much cheaper to buy the bass and have a local luthier re-finish and install a vibrato (of which I hear good things about the new Hipshot).

3. which new hipshot?

4. what about just a whammy bar on a mim jazz V string.

5. Wow, I haven't heard it called a whammy bar forever! haha

6. anyone have an estimate?

7. I call it a whammy bar also,.....

us old folks do that alot ! LOL :crying:

8. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I'm sure what your situation is, but www.warmoth.com can pre-rout one of their bodies for a vibrato. And you can get it with a finish...

9. how do you contact fenders custom shop, should i call their hotline on monday? i guess ill just do that

10. LOL

Nothing wrong with it. Hearing that takes me back when I used to travel to all the music stores with my Dad and brother when I was real young. I start seeing big hair and hearing, "Whoa...it's got a whammy bar! Rock on!!!!" :p

11. I am 16, and I have always called it a whammy bar. I didn't know there was another name for it!

12. Bill Schultz, Chairman and CEO; Bill Mendello, President.

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
    8860 E. Chaparral Road, Suite 100
    Scottsdale, AZ 85250
    Telephone: (480) 596-9690
    Fax: (480) 596-1384
    www.fender.com

Consumer Relations Representative at: 480-596-7195.

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    You have to work through a Fender Custom Shop authorized dealer to get a price quote.

Not all Fender dealers are Custom Shop dealers, and this particular order may require a Custom Shop Master-Built dealer - and not all Custom Shop dealers are Master Built dealers. There is a dealer-finder on fender.com at which you can find Custom Shop and CS Master Built dealers in your area.

14. jm1

jm1

Nov 12, 2003
    I always call it a tremolo or whammy bar... last I recall "vibrato" was a left-hand (for righties) technique when you... vibrate the string!

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I doubt theyd do that.

They'll probably build you a new bass with the features you want, but I dont see them modifying an old bass, especially a MIM.

Peace
    Nick

16. I too call it a tremolo or a whammy bar. I don't personally call it a "vibrato," but when other people use the word "vibrato," I understand them to be referring either to a tremolo/whammy bar, or to the vibrato technique itself.

In literature about Bigsby's, they use the word "vibrato" so it's obviously an accepted term for the tremolo/whammy bar.

I think it would be fun to play a bass with a tremolo/whammy bar. I never have, but I'd like to.

Thanks for reading.

17. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Hmmm...Fender Custom Shop. At the risk of offending buyers of Fender C.S. basses I'll give you my two cents worth.
    About a year and a half ago I decided to get a high end bass. Being a Fender guy for decades, I went to a Fender Master Build C.S. dealer. What a horrific buying experience. If what I wanted was the "standard" Custom Shop stuff there would have been no problem - like a Closet Jazz etc. But I actually wanted a "Custom" bass - a variation of a current Fender model to be more precise. I still don't know who the problem really was - the Custom Shop or the Dealer. But nobody took any responsibility.Frustrated, I started to look at all the other high-end bass manufacturers (and there are a LOT of them).
    Today, for the first time in many years I don't own a Fender bass. In a bizarre twist I actually am glad this happened. The lack customer attention by the Fender Customer Shop (and/or dealer) caused me find all the great non-Fender alternatives. And I don't miss having a Fender one bit.

18. THEY ACTUALLY START AT 3000!!!!!!!! I JUST CALLED!

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :eek: I wonder how they justify that. I mean what takes it up to $3k to begin with!!!! I would have thought a few custom options would make an $800 bass cost mabye $1200 or $1500.

Would a blue MIA jazz bass cost $3k + cost of paint?!? Get a Sadowsky... :rolleyes: