Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender custom shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Nov 4, 2004.

1. with the whole independant luther craze goin on..ive just been curious, has anyone here had the fender custom shop do anything one off for them? or know of anybody?...theres like no mention or discussion about it here....im not talking about the relic jaco basses or anything like that...but pure custom

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IIRC they have a base price of around $6K or $7K US to do any one off work. Therefore its not really economical to have them build one of instruments given how much bass that could buy you elsewhere.

3. thats probably why i do see much of it on here :D .....just think..that could buy me a few kubickis :D

4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Actually Heath, a rather fine Newcastle bassist has ordered a Fender custom shop 5. It's going to cost him tonnes. They gave him a list of options and he ticked boxes next to what he wanted. I want to know what Fender has to offer apart from the usual... I think it's stupid spending 6000 or however many Australian dollars on something like that... Not to mention it's taking forever.

5. If I were desperate to have a custom bass with a Fender look to it, I'd just build something from Warmoth or Allparts.

I would think about it seriously, but postage costs to Australia are a tad steep.

6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    If I would be looking (and I have actually) I would look for small luthiers who are very anal to their job, so they deliver fantastic stuff for a decent price. I think it is better to do that (besides personal taste, but there are a lot of guys who provide J-style basses anyway) because of the fact that it's not en assemble job they do, but a lot of those basses are just handbuilt. You don't see that everyday.

E.g. Boerjes basses from Germany. I played the basses twice for an hour or so and It totally blew me away. I just couldn't believe my ears....that tone, character and craftsman quality voor 2K euro??? I couldn't just sell my Warwick for cash, but otherwise I would be playing one of his basses for now.

(check www.bass-guitars.de if you like....no... I am not associated in any way.... I just feel like the bassplaying world could use a fantastic luthier!)

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Heath many years ago I used Fender Australia's luthier to turn a fretted Squier into a fretless by removing the fingerboard completely and replacing it with a new one. His name was Franko and if he's still around, he'll still be Fender's no1 luthier. He nailed it not once, but twice. The original one got stolen and with the insurance money, I got him to make another one. They were both flawless.

Perhaps buy a stock fender and get Franko to make whatever customisations you want. It'll probably work out better than going through the custom shop in the USA.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    They'll build you almost anything you want but as previously stated, the "Master Built" Custom Shop basses start at about $5,000 and go up but I've seen some outstanding Fender Custom Shop basses at NAMM.

My favorite CS builder is Mark Kendrick.

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Hey Pete, how much did it end up costing you to get that done, if I may ask?

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I don't think Fender Custom Shop is capable of manufacturing any bass that exceeds the quality of a top of the line $5K Ken Smith, for example...

ANDRUCA

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    You are wrong in my opinion but welcome to your opinion. I just don't have the money.

12. im not in anyway interested in getting one from them :p ...i was just curious thats all...havent heard anything about them on here...if i was going to get a custom bass made id probably go maton ($3500+ four string fretless to my specs), ive played a few of their fretless's and its blows almost anything out of the water...

the only way id go to fender custm shop is if they still had the license for "you-know-whats" or if phil was still working for them.....

and if i wasnt to go with maton, id try and find a local guy....mmmmm, headless jazz bass with precision neck and stu hamm pickup setup :D

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Have you ever played any of the real high end basses that the custom shop has made recently ? I mean your opinion is your opinion. I think if you get a chance to sit down with one ( as I have) I think you may have a difference of opinion, because we are talking about extensive R/D to an instrument that is not persay "of the shelf" but made to the player's specs who is having it done.Let's just remember that Ken Smiith started basically luthering custom instruments not for the masses but for a few(at that time-late 80's) players and from there it did grow.......they never started out cheap.

14. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    It always amazes me at how many superb basses are offered from mfrs. and custom builders. I think for example that my G&L plays, looks, sounds, and is built as well as anything, and is a real bargain at that. Same could be said for a lot of basses.

The Fender Custom shop will create anything you want in an instrument, each being a one-off by one of their master builders. They do some phenomenal work, and it costs plenty.
    It's worth it if you want to have something from that shop and those builders, and can afford to pay the price.
    The fact that you can get a great bass, stock or custom, for less, is irrelevant, just as if you choose to spend $$ on a Sadowsky, or Smith, or Nordstrand or whatever.

FCS wouldn't necessarily be one of my choices for a custom instrument if I were looking to buy an instrument at that price level, but I would not be at all unhappy to own or play one!

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In all honesty it was so long ago I can't even remember. It was a cheap bass, and I remember the customisation costing a little bit less than the bass itself. So if you can find out how much a squier precision goes for nowdays, it'll give you a ballpark price for the customisation.

16. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i think tye Zamora's bass is pretty nice. he had fender remake his 6 and i think they are offering a version of it master built for like $8,000? somewhere up there but for that price can you say ritter? i mean fender is great for J's and P's but custom "insert unpronouncable african wood here" 6 string basses would be better built cheaper but most likely just as good at Nordstrand, Huff, Browne, Carl thompson even doesnt cost that much and i can guarantee his basses would be better. know what im sayin...?

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How can you guarantee x bass would be better than y bass if you haven't played both of them?

18. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    trust me CT's basses are the best on the planet (imo) too bad he stops taking orders in like 1 1/2 months

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Comments like this can only come from inexperienced players (no offense). I'm curious as to what you re basing this on, exactly.

Have you ever even played a CT? I have, and I think most are horribly overrated. If you like the wood and body styles, great. I've played both master built Fenders and I've played CTs. When you reach a certain price point, it comes down to style. A perfect fretjob is a perfect fretjob. A seamless multi-laminate neck is a seamless multi laminate neck.

Master built Fenders are as perfect as any Nordstrand, Fodera, Smith, Curbow, Alembic, etc.

Would I spend $7000 on a Fender? Probably not, but I did play a Master Built CS Relic '54 P Bass in Pink that was worth every penny of it's $5000 price tag--if that's what you were looking for.

If you were looking for a CT, it's obviously not worth the price tag, now is it?

20. I wouldn't personally get a one-off custom kind of bass from Fender, because I like my Fenders looking and feeling like Fenders. I mean, I wouldn't want to get one with wenge neck and burled maple top with 5000$ hardware and stuff. This, simply because other builders specialize in it and Fenders are known for their traditional mojo. What I would get, however, is a pre-CBS reissue, master built and with no expenses spared, to get the best Fender that can be built today. And I can guarantee that that bass would rival any bass in its price range, all the while offering a very different approach to the custom bass. It's weird to compare a Fender to a Fodera in that way but imagine a Fender that was built with Fodera quality and attention, but still felt and sounded exactly like a Fender. That would be incredible.