Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Custom Shop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MasqueOfFilth, Feb 14, 2005.

1. I am interested in placing an order to the fender custom shop for a custom built p-bass. like..is there a website or a number i call or something to access these guys. im looking for something in the US, ive been able to get more info on the european custom shop, but nothing in the US. someone help me out of you know anything....thanks!

2. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    from what i understand, you basically write everything you want your guitar to have, then you go to a fender dealer, they contact fenders custom shop and fax your wish list to fender, then they send back a estimate, then you decide if you want it or not.

this is only what ive heard

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm not sure how far you live from the GC in cherry hill NJ, but they deal a lot with the fender custom shop. make sure you have at least 3 grand ready. no, i'm not kidding.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    All Fender Custom Shop requests/price quotes/orders have to go through an authorized Fender Custom Shop dealer....they don't really deal with customers directly in the initial stages of the process. :spit:

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want a customized fender style instrument i highly reccomend Sadowsky, you wont be disapointed.

6. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    or mike lull

7. sweet. that place is like my home away from home. i can like toss a stone from my house and hit the front door of GC cherry hill. basically what im looking for is and american P bass basically...same USA pick-ups, maple/maple neck, custom colored body, custom pickguard, and no silly S-1 switch (i hate that thing...). you really think its gonna be over 3000 bananas?

8. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    I have played many Sadowsky's and many fender custom shops ( I am talking master built stuff here), and the Fenders are just a little better.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll get back to you on that in about a week.

10. Got a Custom Shop Fender coming in Munji? Let us know about that one.

Custom Shop Fenders, as far as I know, run well over 2500$ even if it means little customization. While you're at it you're better off getting some high-end pickups at least. The craftsmanship should be very superior to the American Standard. The Master Built stuff is definitely the best, but I'm not sure how much it'll run you... probably quite a bit more.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not exactly, but this one was built there.

12. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    I was able to jam on a master built '62 jazz that belonged to the bass player of a band we had brought in. It was truly amazing, and I don't really like jazz basses. I could not believe the craftmanship that went into that bass, and it sounded incredible. And if you are going to have a master built bass made, request that Jason Krause be the builder. Trust me, he is the man for the bass.

13. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    That bass is a looker, Munjibunga. And you are right jenderfazz, the master built stuff is usually between 3000-5000 dollars.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    interesting...

i'd still get a sadowsky in a heart beat.

besides, cant stand Mike Eldred, and cant imagine dealing with him...

15. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    I have never dealt with Mike Eldred nor have I ever heard anything about him. I like some of his work, though. Is he a real jerk or something?

oj

16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I'm a Fender guy, always have been, and if they made a 6 I'd probably be a nearly exclusive Fender guy. But, if you have $3K+ burning a hole in your pocket it would be wise to search around a little bit and look at some other options.

It's not that the Fender CS stuff is bad or anything, it's just that they make it such an impersonal process. There are lots of builders right here on TB that would be more than happy to talk to you about your needs and give you a very personalized instrument. Rather than name specific builders on TB (and risk p*ssing somebody off for leaving them out :mad: ) I suggest that you cruise around the forum a little bit, mark down the contact names (usually next to their avatars) and let them know what you're thinking about.

Hey, you may end up right back at the Fender CS, but for that kind of cake, I'd do a little research first :D

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    yeah.. you know... like Zons...

D :p

18. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    There absolutely are some first-rate builders mentioned on this board, and many others who aren't as well!

Thing about FCS is that, besides being made by great luthiers
    (regardless of their personalities or whatever) it is the ONLY way to get a custom FENDER bass made-From Fender.
    That implies access to their tooling, components, designs, and everything else that is proprietary to Fender, past and present.

There are a number of boutique production Fender style basses that are fantastic- Sadowsky, Lull, Celinder, etc.
    and any number of builders can re-create a custom Fender,
    but a master-built Fender from the FCS is really unique.
    It's a VERY good option, and well worth doing if you are so inclined.