1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender (D'Addario) Pure Nickel 7150s

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by meursault42, Mar 28, 2013.

1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    I bought these for my P-bass thinking they'd be kind of midrangy/growly. Granted, I haven't given them time to brake in, and I'm transitioning from Chrome flats. But to me they actually have a kind of scooped midrange, much different than the sound I was hearing in my head. Would Rotosound Nickels be a better bet for acheiving that sort of late-'60s/early-'70s roundwound sound? Warm muted top end, but with a very present (perhaps aggressive) midrange?

2. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    For that 60's 70' rock tone I would think Rotosound sing 66 steels with tone control rolled down a bit.

3. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Never tried the nickels.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like you're looking for GHS Pressurewounds. Going by the sets I've tried, the Roto nickels are not what you want.

5. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    Boomers

6. Rotos or DR Nickel Lo Riders. The la bella nickels sounded very harsh to me with a very prominent high mid clank. Boomers are quite mellow as well and have some thump.

7. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    so boomers (steel i'm assuming) or roto steels?

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Boomers are Nickel Plated Steel
    GHS Super Steels are Stainless Steel

9. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    gotchya, thx :D

10. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    how do pressurewounds differ from boomers?

11. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    Stick with Chromes (maybe try a lighter gauge?), crank up your amp, and close this thread! :bassist:

IMHO of course!

12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    GHS Pressurewounds are Nickel Iron Alloy (lasts longer than Nickel Plated Steel). The outer windings are pressed into an oval shape making for a smoother finish and a very warm punchy tone.

Boomers are Nickel Plated Steel round wounds. A little harsher and more aggressive tone compared to the pressurewounds but have a solid midrange punch and growly highs.

BOOMERS!

13. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Ha, I am presently putting the Chromes back on, but that's not because I've given up on rounds, it's just because I didn't hit the mark with these 7150s. Love the Chromes though! Wouldn't change a thing about 'em! But IMO, flats are flats and rounds are rounds. Kind of an apples and oranges thing.