1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender/DeArmond single coils

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fluke, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    They're white with some kind of metal surrounding, and were default on the DeArmond Jet Star Bass-which i am aware was not a very good instrument otherwise. So has anybody tried them, what are they like? From the description they seem very interesting...

2. I'm interested in them as well.
    I played a new DeArmond JetStar (I don't think that's wht they still call it) recently, and I have to say I thought it sucked. Big let down considering how much I like the way it looks. It sounded poor and played poor.
    I'd generally not put a lot of faith in the pickups based on that experience.

The Gold Tone humbuckers interest me as well. I haven't tried those. They are on both Guild/DeArmond hollow bodies as well as the old Guild SG and LP shaped solid bodies. Fender sells those too. I wonder how they'd go over on a Warmoth.

3. I tried a Dearmond Jetstar a while ago, and actually really liked it- it sounded a lot like a Fender Jazz, only short-scale.
    the only problem is the pickup polepieces aren't staggered to allow for the fingerboard radius, which means the E and G strings are louder than the A and D.
    so I can't recommend the pickups unless the bass you want to fit them to has a totally flat fingerboard.