Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender/DeArmond single coils

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fluke, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    They're white with some kind of metal surrounding, and were default on the DeArmond Jet Star Bass-which i am aware was not a very good instrument otherwise. So has anybody tried them, what are they like? From the description they seem very interesting...

2. I'm interested in them as well.
    I played a new DeArmond JetStar (I don't think that's wht they still call it) recently, and I have to say I thought it sucked. Big let down considering how much I like the way it looks. It sounded poor and played poor.
    I'd generally not put a lot of faith in the pickups based on that experience.

The Gold Tone humbuckers interest me as well. I haven't tried those. They are on both Guild/DeArmond hollow bodies as well as the old Guild SG and LP shaped solid bodies. Fender sells those too. I wonder how they'd go over on a Warmoth.

3. I tried a Dearmond Jetstar a while ago, and actually really liked it- it sounded a lot like a Fender Jazz, only short-scale.
    the only problem is the pickup polepieces aren't staggered to allow for the fingerboard radius, which means the E and G strings are louder than the A and D.
    so I can't recommend the pickups unless the bass you want to fit them to has a totally flat fingerboard.