1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Mar 24, 2006.

1. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    So my problem on the MIM Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Problem is that compared to my passive Fender Jazz Bass it has significantly less output than my Passive Jazz. Just for perspective if i am in a practice situation with my passive Jazz my amps master volume is on 3 and my gain is about half way up and i play with a pretty flat EQ. But when i switch over to my active i have to crank the master up all the way and still im quiter than my passive Jazz. I have tried all adjustments that are possible on my amp so im pretty convinced its not the amp. So its probably the bass. But i cant figure out what.
    I have put fresh battery in a number of times
    Adjusted my pickups to just about every possible height
    put new strings on (Ive tried lights and heavys and hybrids)
    Shortened my cable length
    Dropped a BAII bridge on there (hated it took it off)
    Opened her up checked for loose wires

Yeah i dont know at this point i would love to just sell her

2. ghorvers

ghorvers

Dec 22, 2005
    Does your amp have both high and low inputs? Usually High=Active and Low=Passive. But on my MAG 300 it's actually the reverse.
    Just in case you haven't tried that...

Cheers,
    Geert

3. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Like i said above i have tried nearly every amp configuration possible

Thanks for the help though

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is this a new (sudden) problem or has it always been that way?

Active doesn't necessarily mean high output. I had a Deluxe Active J5 and its output level seemed about normal. My MIA Urge was stupid hot and my Ibanez 6 string was low (as was a Charvel bass that I once owned).

An active bass has a low output impedance (compared to a passive bass). It would be able to handle more cord length than a passive bass. Besides, the input impedance of an amp is so high that there isn't much signal loss in the cable. Passive basses lose highs because the inherent capacitance in the cable shunts them to ground.

If you're comfortable with a soldering iron, you could bypass the preamp and see if it's a pickup thing or a preamp thing. Essentially, disconnect the jack from the preamp's output and then connect the jack to the "output" of the blend control. The low output impedance of the preamp would goof you up if you didn't disconnect it.

The preamp should have a high input impedance to match the pickups. If you do try the bypass and the volume level doesn't change, disconnect the input of the preamp from the blend control to isolate the pickups from the preamp entirely.

While you're in the wiring compartment, take a good close look at the connections around the volume control and the blend control...see if there is any contamination or stray wire strands, solder, whatever that could be shorting out the pickup's signal...and make sure that nothing metal touches the bottom of the preamp's circuit board or that uninsulated shielded wire isn't partially shorting out your signal somewhere.

Good luck!