Fender Deluxe Active Jazz v. Fender U.S. Highway One Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oathbass462, Feb 17, 2006.

1. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    ok i got a comparison from musicians friend and they are both in my price range. the active has a 3-band EQ pre amp, high way one doesnt, they have different bridge pick ups and the active is made out of US, the high way is made in US anyone ever played either? how do they play, i tried the highway but no the active
  2. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the MIA Deluxe is in a whole other league.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    are you talking about the American Deluxe Jazz or the Active Deluxe Jazz.

The Active Deluxe is made in Mexico.

The Highway One and American Deluxe are made in US.

The Highway one is passive which is real cool cause you don't have to mess with it to get a good tone.

The Active Deluxe and American Deluxe are active which are really nice instruments too, but you have to do a little more searching (on the 3-band EQ) to find the "right" sound.

As far as playability, they are the same bass except they have different electronics.

Personally i love passive basses, so i would go with the Highway One. BUt to each there own.

4. i own a Hwy 1, it's my main gigging bass. i sold my Deluxe Jazz V(mim), shortly after purchasing the Hwy 1. the Hwy 1 is
    basically an American Standard with a vintage style bridge(cheaper), and tuners. the finish is the main difference. it has the "satin" finish, which is alot cheaper to produce. i love my Hwy 1. but the Deluxe Active is nice. made in usa means alot, when it comes to resale value. :cool:
  5. I've a USA Dlx Jazz 5. It's a superb bass, IMHO, but it doesn't sound like a passive Jazz, if that's what you like. I honestly don't think you can get it to sound like a passive Jazz.

As it happens I also own a 1970s fretless Precision. Sound-wise, it's miles better than the Jazz. Again, though, that's IMHO. (TI Jazz flats: I love it). :hyper: