Fender Deluxe Active P Bass (questions)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1978Datsun, Mar 15, 2020.

1. 1978Datsun

1978Datsun

Mar 15, 2020
    Maryland
    I have a guy that wants to trade me a deluxe active p bass in surf pearl, I’ve read a lot of great things about them, the only complaint seems to be the lack of a tone control in passive mode. Can you dial in a nice classic P bass tone with these even without the tone control? And in general are the opinions on these basses still good?

2. Davey28

Davey28 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    That bass has a tone control in passive mode. The Bass, Mid and Treble controls are only available in Active mode. The traditional tone control is only available in Passive.

In other words, the traditional tone control is only used in passive, and the 3-band controls are only used in Active. Kind of the common gripe about these basses is that the traditional tone control is not available in Active. The bass acts like a traditional Precision in Passive.

3. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I have an American Precision Deluxe (about 2013). The 3-band EQ is good. I like the tone(s) in passive mode just fine but this bass simply cannot sound like a P. I think it's because the neck pickup is in the wrong place by about 10mm-ish. For P sound, I have Ps. As I say Fender's Deluxe basses are good IMHO. My American Deluxe, ergonomically, is dreamy. I like the sounds. It sounds different from a P. Fatter. P basses make a sort of barking sound. As opposed to boom or poof.

TrevorG likes this.
  4. Davey28

Davey28 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    Just did some checking, and there are two versions of this bass. One is the GC/MF Special Edition Deluxe P/J and the other is The Deluxe P/J. The MF unit has the blocks and the regular version is dots. The blocks bass has the Traditional and 3- Band controls. Looks like the dots units only have the 3-band when Acitve and no tone control when Passive.

5. 1978Datsun

1978Datsun

Mar 15, 2020
    Maryland
    I ended up getting it and I love it, I think that I will be able to get pretty close to the classic Pbass sound but I won’t know until I put flats on it. Either way I really like the bass and the versatility in tones is amazing. Seems to be a great value regardless if you get a great deal like I did and I can see it becoming my go to bass.

TrevorG likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022